2014 Law Grad - GS12 job acceptable or too low? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2014 Law Grad - GS12 job acceptable or too low?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:18 am

I'm currently in biglaw and am thinking about taking on a GS12 job. Money is no longer an issue since I've paid back my student loans. Assuming I can't negotiate for a higher GS level (I'll find out about that later), do you think GS12 would be stooping too low? It seems most of my classmates in fed. gov. are GS13 by now.

Thanks!

Dahl

New

Re: 2014 Law Grad - GS12 job acceptable or too low?

Post by Dahl » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:31 am

Do you know what step you’d be coming in at within GS 12? There’s a pretty significant pay range there.

If it’s a great agency with the opportunity to advance to GS 14, that doesn’t seem bad to me.

Anonymous User

Re: 2014 Law Grad - GS12 job acceptable or too low?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:25 pm

Assuming you have at least 3 years of experience, you should try to negotiate for a higher GS level or a higher step within GS-12. However, I would be more concerned with the career ladder for the position. If it tops out at 14/15 then take it. If it tops out at 12, I wouldn’t take the job.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”