If I quit, can the firm make me...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

If I quit, can the firm make me...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:34 pm

I am thinking about quitting my job as an associate at a boutique -- I've been there about 9 months, and have a lot of personal reasons for leaving. I am planning to go solo after taking some time to resolve the personal issues.

The firm paid for part of my bar prep and bar expenses. Can they make me pay them back for those? I didn't sign anything saying I would. They didn't give me relocation or anything either.

glitched

Silver

Re: If I quit, can the firm make me...

Postby glitched » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am thinking about quitting my job as an associate at a boutique -- I've been there about 9 months, and have a lot of personal reasons for leaving. I am planning to go solo after taking some time to resolve the personal issues.

The firm paid for part of my bar prep and bar expenses. Can they make me pay them back for those? I didn't sign anything saying I would. They didn't give me relocation or anything either.

Did they give you an offer letter? I recall there being something in my offer letter about that. Honestly I don't think a firm would hound you about paying back the bar stuff. They're gonna go to small claims? That's crazy. Unless you're at a really tiny shop, those are negligible expenses to them.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:53 pm

Sounds like you're asking for legal advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:07 pm

1styearlateral wrote:Sounds like you're asking for legal advice.

No, definitely not. I haven't quit -- just want to be prepared to pay back if I need to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am thinking about quitting my job as an associate at a boutique -- I've been there about 9 months, and have a lot of personal reasons for leaving. I am planning to go solo after taking some time to resolve the personal issues.

Yeah the firm can make you do it.

Fuck your click bait title.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:36 pm

If you didn't sign anything with stipulations along those lines, no. I don't think there's a general-purpose law to that extent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:15 pm

If you think that one cannot ask for legal advice before taking an action that might place them in legal peril, you best add being a bad lawyer to the list of personal issues.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:Sounds like you're asking for legal advice.

No, definitely not. I haven't quit -- just want to be prepared to pay back if I need to.

Lots of dumb anon use in this thread but yes this is legal advice.

shock259

Gold

Postby shock259 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:47 am

I signed an offer letter that said I would pay it back if I left before a year. I left before a year and they never asked for it. You might budget for it but I wouldn't worry too much.

Return to “Legal Employment�