Biglaw Trajectory

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw Trajectory

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:51 pm

I work on a lower v100. I started here and would like to think I’ll stay here a while. Many of my colleagues lateraled from “better” firms (mostly v10) as midlevels. Does this mean that I’ll probably end up at a smaller mid sized firm if I want to have a shot of partnership or of counsel? My firm has expanded a lot recently so there aren’t too many homegrown partners, so was wondering if anyone has looked into this before.

I really like my firm but it seems that the more and more senior I get, the less and less impressive my resume looks because of all of these former v10 midlevels/seniors.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Re: Biglaw Trajectory

Postby JusticeJackson » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:45 am

You're reading way too much into the fact that some former v10 associates lateralled to your firm.

nealric

Re: Biglaw Trajectory

Postby nealric » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:I work on a lower v100. I started here and would like to think I’ll stay here a while. Many of my colleagues lateraled from “better” firms (mostly v10) as midlevels. Does this mean that I’ll probably end up at a smaller mid sized firm if I want to have a shot of partnership or of counsel? My firm has expanded a lot recently so there aren’t too many homegrown partners, so was wondering if anyone has looked into this before.

I really like my firm but it seems that the more and more senior I get, the less and less impressive my resume looks because of all of these former v10 midlevels/seniors.

If anything, the homegrown associate has the advantage over laterals because they've had more time to build connections in the firm. Nobody cares where your colleagues lateraled from. They care what they can do for the firm today.

Return to “Legal Employment?