Should I go to NYU Tax LLM Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I go to NYU Tax LLM

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:20 pm

Recently got into NYU Tax LLM with no scholarship.

My goal: getting into biglaw or big 4.

Firstly I understand that the NYU LLM itself will not help me get into biglaw or big 4, however, if I was on the edge of getting into biglaw or big 4, the LLM might give me a lift.

My background:
1. JD: school ranked 30-40 out of 200.
2. GPA: 3.65, top 20%, graduate with honors.
3. OCI: don't even mention it. I did not even get a chance to participate in the OCI for some reason.
4. no job lineup, currently doing low-paid attorney job in the corporate practice.
5. no debt of any sort.

I saw that JD was like a house and Tax LLM was like a set of furniture. My question is: is my house good enough to get another chance for biglaw or big 4 with some push by NYU Tax LLM?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Should I go to NYU Tax LLM

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:46 pm

You keep mentioning the big 4 like it’s an afterthought. If your goal is biglaw, just stay in whatever job you’re doing and try to lateral. Most people who end up in biglaw from the llm either are in very niche markets (Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh) where they have a connection or went to top-20 schools and were on law review.

You did well in school, but at the end Of the day, you are competing with people who were in the top 5-10% of their schools ranked around yours and they’re all trying to get a firm.

Only go to the LLM if you are truly content working in an accounting firm.

Tefinn

New

Post by Tefinn » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:44 pm

Do the LLM if (i) you are okay with Big4 (your most likely outcome) and (ii) you can’t tolerate your current situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:43 pm

Federal clerkship for the Tax Court is another option to consider. Most of the LLM candidates do not pursue this option. However, if you're interested in litigation or controversy work, this clerkship can be invaluable and a unique opportunity available only to Tax LLM students.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2018 1:56 pm

"Firstly I understand that the NYU LLM itself will not help me get into biglaw or big 4, however, if I was on the edge of getting into biglaw or big 4, the LLM might give me a lift."

(source: Am currently in the program about to graduate near the bottom of my class. Had 2 Big 4 offers and 1 law firm offer. My JD stats are unremarkable but I did tax internships during law school.)

True for Biglaw, not true for Big 4 at all. Anecdotal, but one of my professors gave my class a job lead at a pretty cool Big 4 specialty group in SF. No one applied because everyone in my class already had an offer. As others have said, only go if you're okay with working for an accounting firm as it is your most likely outcome.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”