DHS ICE OPLA Attorney

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DHS ICE OPLA Attorney

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:45 pm

I just passed the background check to be an assistant chief counsel for DHS, ICE, OPLA. I was curious what type of cases I will be working on, and everyday life of an OPLA attorney.

Anonymous User

Re: DHS ICE OPLA Attorney

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:54 pm

You'll be in Immigration Court advocating for the deportation of all sorts of people. Generally you're just kind of a cog in an endless machine of resetting cases for the next "Mass Cal" or arguing about whether stealing candy bars is a crime of moral turpitude.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:14 pm

I interviewed w/ ICE too in January, do you mind sharing what office you'll be working at?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed w/ ICE too in January, do you mind sharing what office you'll be working at?

I won't say exactly what office, but I'm with one of the west-side offices. What about you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:59 pm

No problem but I assume by “west side” you mean west coast haha, I interviewed in the Midwest. Congrats on getting the job!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:48 am

Just curious what inspires someone to want to join DHS ICE etc.? Do you think you can make a difference from the inside vis prosecutorial discretion or are you just a bad person?

ljc1863

New

Postby ljc1863 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just curious what inspires someone to want to join DHS ICE etc.? Do you think you can make a difference from the inside vis prosecutorial discretion or are you just a bad person?

I’m interested in ICE because I’m interested in national security law and helping to keep our country safe. If that makes anyone would like to work for the government a bad person in your opinion, I’m sorry to hear it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:56 am

Yes, the job is largely conducting deportation proceedings that can range from murderers to DUIs, writing response motions, immigration appeals, etc.

Other parts of the job include national security (extraditing terrorists), human rights abuses (extraditing war criminals), homeland security investigations (I heard it's largely targeting human trafficking), writing memos for Congress (not sure how true this is), employment law, cyber security law, collateral opportunities to the USAO, etc etc etc. Your duties can vary.

whats an updog

Bronze

Postby whats an updog » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:41 am

Do people who have other options but are actively wanting to be ICE attorneys in the current administration believe in what the agency is doing and, if so, do you realize you're a bad person? I mean if you want to be an ICE attorney you already must be a pretty shitty human, but it's possible you could be lying to yourself about changing something from the inside

Hoosier2

New

Postby Hoosier2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:12 am

Don’t agree politically = bad person? Sounds like a winning argument.

Return to “Legal Employment?