NYC to 200k

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:35 pm

Man it's quiet. Is that a wrap on raises? I can't believe 30+ firms in the top 200 haven't moved yet. Even if it's not a full match, make some sort of move. These guys are going to get left in the dust come OCI.

malibustacy

Bronze

Postby malibustacy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Man it's quiet. Is that a wrap on raises? I can't believe 30+ firms in the top 200 haven't moved yet. Even if it's not a full match, make some sort of move. These guys are going to get left in the dust come OCI.

It's their funeral.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Man it's quiet. Is that a wrap on raises? I can't believe 30+ firms in the top 200 haven't moved yet. Even if it's not a full match, make some sort of move. These guys are going to get left in the dust come OCI.

Not to mention Kasowitz now pays more in guaranteed comp than the vast majority of these firms. One-time bonuses mean little at the lower levels where Kasowitz's higher base evens it out in total comp (and ultimately will exceed over time) I guess young associates are happy with a pat on the head from their "superior" firms. We'll see if 2Ls and 3Ls are as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:53 pm

malibustacy wrote:

It's their funeral.

Idk. I work at a v50-100 firm. Took my firm a while to match 180 (more than a few months) because we have a lot of offices in non-major markets, so it took them a while to figure out the new scale for them. Not an excuse, but some of the v100 may run into that problem.

That aside, my firm still hasnt matched 190 in major markets. Fully expect them to in the next 4-6 months, but it sucks waiting. I imagine the same issue is happening again, i.e. how to do we the non-major market associates?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Not to mention Kasowitz now pays more in guaranteed comp than the vast majority of these firms. One-time bonuses mean little at the lower levels where Kasowitz's higher base evens it out in total comp (and ultimately will exceed over time) I guess young associates are happy with a pat on the head from their "superior" firms. We'll see if 2Ls and 3Ls are as well.

No one at a white shoe v20 gives two shits if Kasowitz pays $5k above market

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, I’ve spent 5+ years in biglaw and people generally see Kasowitz as kind of a joke. Beyond me why somebody would want to go work there. No associate or law student in their right mind would choose Kasowitz over DPW, STB, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, I’ve spent 5+ years in biglaw and people generally see Kasowitz as kind of a joke. Beyond me why somebody would want to go work there. No associate or law student in their right mind would choose Kasowitz over DPW, STB, etc.

that firm that pays 5k more than us? what a JOKE!

malibustacy

Bronze

Postby malibustacy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Very hot take.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:57 am

malibustacy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Very hot take.

+1

Why is Kasowitz a joke and who are the people who think it's a joke?

MaxMcMann

New

Postby MaxMcMann » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What other BigLaw firms take Touro students?*

*true in at least one case

deadpanic

Silver

Postby deadpanic » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
malibustacy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Very hot take.

+1

I don't have a dog in this fight, but probably doesn't help that the founding & name partner acted like a total and incompetent ass for Trump for a good while, all while threatening several baseless lawsuits.

The revenue is also a lot lower than the traditional powerhouse white shoe Wall Street firms.There are Kansas City firms stylin' on Kasowitz's revenue.
Last edited by deadpanic on Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
malibustacy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Very hot take.

+1

How else is someone who isn't actually remarkable supposed to feel superior?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
malibustacy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Very hot take.

+1

How else is someone who isn't actually remarkable supposed to feel superior?

Can't tell who this is supposed to make fun of. Unremarkable but feeling superior is basically Marc Kasowitz in a nutshell.

cfcm

Silver

Postby cfcm » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:27 pm

The man, a retired public relations professional in the western United States who asked not to be identified, read ProPublica’s story this week on Kasowitz and sent the lawyer an email with the subject line: “Resign Now.’’

Kasowitz replied with series of angry messages sent between 9:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time. One read: “I’m on you now. You are fucking with me now Let’s see who you are Watch your back , bitch.”

In another email, Kasowitz wrote: “Call me. Don’t be afraid, you piece of shit. Stand up. If you don’t call, you’re just afraid.” And later: “I already know where you live, I’m on you. You might as well call me. You will see me. I promise. Bro.”

https://www.propublica.org/article/marc ... ils-maddow

But that’s all in the past. I for one welcome our new market leader.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:31 pm

MaxMcMann wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What other BigLaw firms take Touro students?*

*true in at least one case

There are a legit number of top Boston biglaw firms (Sidley, Morgan Lewis, H&K included...and that’s just off the top of my head) that take students from the absolute bottom of the law school barrel that Massachusetts has to offer. Frankly, I’ve never understood this; why not just go a tad deeper into Bc or bu’s Class. From my perspective, the risk would be way too high that Client X knows that the local TTTT takes people who can barely think (thinking being defined, here, as Lsat percentile and/or college gpa), and picks the firm down the road instead...but what do I know?

This is a long way of making my point that I don’t think that taking people from garbage schools, on its own, invalidates the legitimacy of a given law firm or makes it a joke.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

that firm that pays 5k more than us? what a JOKE!

Midlevel and senior associates are getting $5K more salary than market firms but missing out on the $20-25K summer bonuses that their counterparts at other firms are getting. Real above-market firm :roll:

I mean, with Kasowitz's profitability (its peer firms in terms of RPL -- one of the best measures of profitability -- include Kelley Drye, Drinker Biddle, Nixon Peabody, Knobbe Martens, Pepper Hamilton, Schiff Harden, and Vedder Price), I guess associates there should just be glad they're getting any money at all. So yeah, people should definitely forego actually respectable firms like SullCrom and Paul Weiss to go to somewhere where the face of the firm has been making a public mockery out of himself and is about as profitable as Honigman Miller, based out of Detroit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
malibustacy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Very hot take.

+1

Kasowitz is basically a running joke among associates at my V10 NYC biglaw firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Can't tell who this is supposed to make fun of. Unremarkable but feeling superior is basically Marc Kasowitz in a nutshell.

I think Kasowitz himself is in the top 5-10 billing rate per hour in the country, which is actually pretty remarkable. I assume OP means everyday whiteshoe associates whose only claim to fame is the brand on their business card.

NakedPowerOrgan

Bronze

Postby NakedPowerOrgan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:37 pm

cfcm wrote:
The man, a retired public relations professional in the western United States who asked not to be identified, read ProPublica’s story this week on Kasowitz and sent the lawyer an email with the subject line: “Resign Now.’’

Kasowitz replied with series of angry messages sent between 9:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time. One read: “I’m on you now. You are fucking with me now Let’s see who you are Watch your back , bitch.”

In another email, Kasowitz wrote: “Call me. Don’t be afraid, you piece of shit. Stand up. If you don’t call, you’re just afraid.” And later: “I already know where you live, I’m on you. You might as well call me. You will see me. I promise. Bro.”

https://www.propublica.org/article/marc ... ils-maddow

But that’s all in the past. I for one welcome our new market leader.

Thank you for this. I forgot how hilarious those emails were. Bro.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think Kasowitz himself is in the top 5-10 billing rate per hour in the country, which is actually pretty remarkable. I assume OP means everyday whiteshoe associates whose only claim to fame is the brand on their business card.

Is this true? Last I heard, he billed $1500/hr. There are K&E tax partners billing $1700+/hr, and I can think of at least a couple dozen people here at K&E alone who bill at or above $1500/hr.

Wild Card

Bronze

Postby Wild Card » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:21 pm

deadpanic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
malibustacy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Very hot take.

+1

I don't have a dog in this fight, but probably doesn't help that the founding & name partner acted like a total and incompetent ass for Trump for a good while, all while threatening several baseless lawsuits.

The revenue is also a lot lower than the traditional powerhouse white shoe Wall Street firms.There are Kansas City firms stylin' on Kasowitz's revenue.

It's a very high honor to represent the president of the United States.

I knew a loser burnout lawyer who once described Justice Thomas as a "joke." Well, he sits on the Supreme Court and is a great man, and you are a loser, regardless of where you went to school and what firm you worked at. Unsurprisingly.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Postby unlicensedpotato » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:39 pm

Wild Card wrote:

I knew a loser burnout lawyer who once described Justice Thomas as a "joke." Well, he sits on the Supreme Court and is a great man, and you are a loser, regardless of where you went to school and what firm you worked at. Unsurprisingly.

lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:41 pm

Wild Card wrote:
deadpanic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
malibustacy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Very hot take.

+1

Lol, not this president. Trump ran a quasi-criminal real estate business for decades, and Kasowitz was occasionally counsel. Hardly the stuff of legal legend. It’s decidedly low-brow. And FWIW, representing the Trump Organization has no relation to Justice Thomas.

malibustacy

Bronze

Postby malibustacy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:44 pm

I don't understand what about Kasowitz is bringing out all these V10 prestige gunners out of the woodwork to shit all over it.

The firm is not really competing for the same clients or same level of work a top international firm does. Virtually a different market segment altogether. Anyone with half a brain understands this. The hostile reaction is very curious.

Get your firms to go 195 or 200 instead.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:18 pm

malibustacy wrote:I don't understand what about Kasowitz is bringing out all these V10 prestige gunners out of the woodwork to shit all over it.

The firm is not really competing for the same clients or same level of work a top international firm does. Virtually a different market segment altogether. Anyone with half a brain understands this. The hostile reaction is very curious.

Get your firms to go 195 or 200 instead.

Maybe the hostile reactions are in response to initial comments overly generous to Kasowitz? The comments below came in before anything resembling a hostile comment did.

Lit is red hot right now. Kasowitz is reflecting that.

(It's not, and they're not.)

Kasowitz now pays more in guaranteed comp than the vast majority of these firms. One-time bonuses mean little at the lower levels where Kasowitz's higher base evens it out in total comp (and ultimately will exceed over time) I guess young associates are happy with a pat on the head from their "superior" firms.

(For a comment obsessed with guaranteed comp, the proposition that +5K salaries w/o bonuses at Kasowitz will exceed market salaries w/ bonuses over time, even though any given associate could be fired tomorrow, seems inconsistent. Also, many or most of the firms that are doing $190K salaries on top of summer bonuses actually are superior to Kasowitz in practically every measurable, objective degree -- no sarcastic quotation marks needed.)

Return to “Legal Employment?