NYC to 200k Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NYC to 200k

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Mid-level associate at one of those top 5 firms that no longer has an excuse not to have matched. Mood in the office has progressively gone from excited, to anxious, to pissed off and annoyed. Will not be forgotten the next time the firm is begging us to fill out all top scores on an AmLaw or Vault survey.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mid-level associate at one of those top 5 firms that no longer has an excuse not to have matched. Mood in the office has progressively gone from excited, to anxious, to pissed off and annoyed. Will not be forgotten the next time the firm is begging us to fill out all top scores on an AmLaw or Vault survey.
Are you sure about that? Usually, all it takes is a couple free meals or a promise of something equally cheap to bribe the associates into giving awesome reviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:52 pm

Also midlevel associate at a top 5 firm on that list.

Also pissed off.

I don't forget easily. No-one makes [Anonymous User] wait this long. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mid-level associate at one of those top 5 firms that no longer has an excuse not to have matched. Mood in the office has progressively gone from excited, to anxious, to pissed off and annoyed. Will not be forgotten the next time the firm is begging us to fill out all top scores on an AmLaw or Vault survey.
Samesies re mood at a firm that isn't even on the list...

But please if you are at Wilmer (or anyone else here is), speculate wildly as to why your firm hasn't announced yet, because every other DC firm is waiting on you for some stupid reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

But please if you are at Wilmer (or anyone else here is), speculate wildly as to why your firm hasn't announced yet, because every other DC firm is waiting on you for some stupid reason.
I think it is because (1) WilmerHale PPP is much higher than "peer" firms in DC (e.g. CovingTTTon); and (2) WH's two main competitors for recruiting in Boston (Ropes, Goodwin) have matched, which should have already exerted pressure on them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Wilmer associate here, crickets

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also midlevel associate at a top 5 firm on that list.

Also pissed off.

I don't forget easily. No-one makes [Anonymous User] wait this long. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
For firms that like to brag about consistently being at the top of Vault's Best Firms to Work For and AmLaw's Associates Survey lists, you'd think PH and OMM would get their shit together.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think it is because (1) WilmerHale PPP is much higher than "peer" firms in DC (e.g. CovingTTTon); and (2) WH's two main competitors for recruiting in Boston (Ropes, Goodwin) have matched, which should have already exerted pressure on them.
I get why we expect Wilmer to go first, I just don't accept the premise that it must be first before everyone else acts. Hogan was first in DC in 2016 and the universe did not collapse in on itself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:04 pm

Wilmer associate here, crickets
Another Wilmer associate here.

For now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:08 pm

I've got a friend at Hogan that says they expect to match soon. I'm guessing they are waiting on WH or Covington or some other DC firm, but the consensus is that those firms will match and Hogan will follow

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I get why we expect Wilmer to go first, I just don't accept the premise that it must be first before everyone else acts. Hogan was first in DC in 2016 and the universe did not collapse in on itself.
If anything, firms like HoLove have more to gain by busting through the gate before higher-PPP firms do. I can guarantee that a lot of law students and associates think more highly of Milbank now, after it showed up "more prestigious" firms like DPW and SullCrom and was part of the Cravath/STB/Milbank NYC cadre (indeed, leading the pack) raising associate salaries.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've got a friend at Hogan that says they expect to match soon. I'm guessing they are waiting on WH or Covington or some other DC firm, but the consensus is that those firms will match and Hogan will follow
I've got a myself at Hogan. Not holding my breath for a DC match within the next week even. And Hogan will not be first. It's the world's most preftigious reverse Mexican standoff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:19 pm

latham just matched

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:20 pm

According to the Ropes and Gray COO, Middle Law, as he refers to it, includes Greenberg, Baker & McKenzie.

I guess biglaw is only the top 20 to 40 law firms by PPP now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:23 pm

HOLOVE

Match with bonus

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:24 pm

Here to confirm Hogan match, except Miami office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:24 pm

HoLove +1!!! Feeling the love

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:25 pm

Hogan matched

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:latham just matched
Kind of. Bonus not paid until end of July and announced to associates on the week of the 9th based on the firm’s annual bonus policies (hours).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:27 pm

First year at a firm that hasn’t matched. At my rate since Cravath announced I have billed $50k for these partners. Yet they can’t turn around and offer me a $10k raise with $5k bonus like the other firms in my market? I was ready to defend my firm for being diligent and taking their time, but 10 business days is enough. The market has moved and you will too so just get your shit together and announce it already.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:31 pm

Hogan bonuses based on annualized hours, but they explicitly say they will have a lower standard for anyone who started after September 1, 2017 to account for transition time. Pretty reasonable.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:32 pm

Hogan also has a line in the memo re hours requirement for the bonus:

"For the benefit of individual associates who started with the firm after September 1, 2017" (i.e. first years) "we will take into account some transition time when considering whether they are annualizing at 2,000 hours." Partner acknowledge the fact that work is slow to get off the ground when you start, and our billable year is Nov 1-Oct 31, so we're pretty happy about that!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Im finishing my clerkship soon and starting at a firm that hasnt matched yet, and its v frustrating
The really frustrating thing is that your clerkship salary + $50k market bonus is now about half of what a first year makes all in. Doesn't exactly make up for lost earnings anymore.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:42 pm

Hogan matched, except in Denver, Miami and Minneapolis.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hogan matched, except in Denver, Miami and Minneapolis.
Well that makes for a tough decision for WH. Do they skip just one office?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”