NYC to 200k

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:21 pm

Curious -- what is the most important metric in guessing whether a firm will/will not match? Profits per partner/lawyer? Gross revenue? Something else?

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Okay at this point, we need to ask what’s going on with the supposedly “elite” litigation boutiques. Where is the response from Williams and Connolly, Susman, Boies, and Munger Tolles. Any associate working at one of those firms has a resume that can run circles around anyone at Cravath or S&C. Those “elite” firms are getting SHAMED by Selendy and by Hueston Hennigan.


Not sure about the "run circles" bit but I'm going to bet that you're at one of the "elite" litigation boutiques you've mentioned.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Okay at this point, we need to ask what’s going on with the supposedly “elite” litigation boutiques. Where is the response from Williams and Connolly, Susman, Boies, and Munger Tolles. Any associate working at one of those firms has a resume that can run circles around anyone at Cravath or S&C. Those “elite” firms are getting SHAMED by Selendy and by Hueston Hennigan.


lol W&C "elite" firm

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:23 pm

The real question is whether Wilson Sonsini’s Wilmington office is going to match. Indicative of where things are going in the future for Delaware-based biglaw.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Okay at this point, we need to ask what’s going on with the supposedly “elite” litigation boutiques. Where is the response from Williams and Connolly, Susman, Boies, and Munger Tolles. Any associate working at one of those firms has a resume that can run circles around anyone at Cravath or S&C. Those “elite” firms are getting SHAMED by Selendy and by Hueston Hennigan.


lol W&C "elite" firm


It is relative to Cravath. It's way harder to get a job at Williams and Connolly than at Cravath. Idk about Boies, they seem slightly less selective than the other lot, but Susman and MTO are substantially more selective than Cravath, S&C, etc.

OneTwoThreeFour

New
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:15 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby OneTwoThreeFour » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Okay at this point, we need to ask what’s going on with the supposedly “elite” litigation boutiques. Where is the response from Williams and Connolly, Susman, Boies, and Munger Tolles. Any associate working at one of those firms has a resume that can run circles around anyone at Cravath or S&C. Those “elite” firms are getting SHAMED by Selendy and by Hueston Hennigan.


lol W&C "elite" firm

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The real question is whether Wilson Sonsini’s Wilmington office is going to match. Indicative of where things are going in the future for Delaware-based biglaw.


Totally disagree. The real question here is whether Cooley’s Broomfield office is going to match. Indicative of where things are going in the future for Colorado-but-not-Denver-based biglaw.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The real question is whether Wilson Sonsini’s Wilmington office is going to match. Indicative of where things are going in the future for Delaware-based biglaw.


Totally disagree. The real question here is whether Cooley’s Broomfield office is going to match. Indicative of where things are going in the future for Colorado-but-not-Denver-based biglaw.


Going to disagree with you both. The real question here is whether Fried Frank’s Frankfurt office is going to match. Indicative of where things are going in the future for Frank-based biglaw.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Okay at this point, we need to ask what’s going on with the supposedly “elite” litigation boutiques. Where is the response from Williams and Connolly, Susman, Boies, and Munger Tolles. Any associate working at one of those firms has a resume that can run circles around anyone at Cravath or S&C. Those “elite” firms are getting SHAMED by Selendy and by Hueston Hennigan.


Not sure about the "run circles" bit but I'm going to bet that you're at one of the "elite" litigation boutiques you've mentioned.

Oh sweetheart. Top 1/3 at a T13 can get a job at S&C. At Williams and Connolly, Keker, Susman, Bartlit Beck, and MTO, you need a fed clerkship. You’re so wrong it’s not even fun to shame you.

The issue is, at places that require those kinds of resumes, how can the partners get away with being so behind market on comp?

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Okay at this point, we need to ask what’s going on with the supposedly “elite” litigation boutiques. Where is the response from Williams and Connolly, Susman, Boies, and Munger Tolles. Any associate working at one of those firms has a resume that can run circles around anyone at Cravath or S&C. Those “elite” firms are getting SHAMED by Selendy and by Hueston Hennigan.


lol W&C "elite" firm


It is relative to Cravath. It's way harder to get a job at Williams and Connolly than at Cravath. Idk about Boies, they seem slightly less selective than the other lot, but Susman and MTO are substantially more selective than Cravath, S&C, etc.


So many sub-T14 kids at Boies. Not that selective at all.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Okay at this point, we need to ask what’s going on with the supposedly “elite” litigation boutiques. Where is the response from Williams and Connolly, Susman, Boies, and Munger Tolles. Any associate working at one of those firms has a resume that can run circles around anyone at Cravath or S&C. Those “elite” firms are getting SHAMED by Selendy and by Hueston Hennigan.


Not sure about the "run circles" bit but I'm going to bet that you're at one of the "elite" litigation boutiques you've mentioned.

Oh sweetheart. Top 1/3 at a T13 can get a job at S&C. At Williams and Connolly, Keker, Susman, Bartlit Beck, and MTO, you need a fed clerkship. You’re so wrong it’s not even fun to shame you.

The issue is, at places that require those kinds of resumes, how can the partners get away with being so behind market on comp?

Sorry, you're wrong. I summered at one of those "elite" places but elected not to go back and I know 2 people who are in my class year--1 who I summered with and another who I went to law school with--who had NO CLERKSHIP at all but still got jobs at that "elite" firm. So, it might be marginally more difficult but you're so wrong with your blanket statements that it's not even fun to shame YOU.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Okay at this point, we need to ask what’s going on with the supposedly “elite” litigation boutiques. Where is the response from Williams and Connolly, Susman, Boies, and Munger Tolles. Any associate working at one of those firms has a resume that can run circles around anyone at Cravath or S&C. Those “elite” firms are getting SHAMED by Selendy and by Hueston Hennigan.


Not sure about the "run circles" bit but I'm going to bet that you're at one of the "elite" litigation boutiques you've mentioned.

Oh sweetheart. Top 1/3 at a T13 can get a job at S&C. At Williams and Connolly, Keker, Susman, Bartlit Beck, and MTO, you need a fed clerkship. You’re so wrong it’s not even fun to shame you.

The issue is, at places that require those kinds of resumes, how can the partners get away with being so behind market on comp?

Sorry, you're wrong. I summered at one of those "elite" places but elected not to go back and I know 2 people who are in my class year--1 who I summered with and another who I went to law school with--who had NO CLERKSHIP at all but still got jobs at one of those places. So, it might be marginally more difficult but you're so wrong with your blanket statements that it's not even fun to shame YOU.


Well I know below median T1 students who summered at S&C but turned it down for dla piper.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Of all the firms listed, Susman and Williams and Connolly sent the most prestigious rejection letters. (Anonymous because I presume I’m the only poster that received rejection letters from every single v15, top litigation boutique, and Boies).

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:41 pm

TBF I'd probably turn down Williams & Connolly for most V10 firms.

I'd take Keker/MTO/Susman over any V10 firm in a heartbeat. I'd take Bartlit Beck over any of those, not billing hours is GOAT.

These firms command top talent because law students can live off of prestige. And some pay above market. Kellogg's starting salary is 225k.

Also, what's with all the salty people ITT who couldn't get interviews/callbacks at lit boutiques lmao.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:TBF I'd probably turn down Williams & Connolly for most V10 firms.




Lol wut... why would u ever do that

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:TBF I'd probably turn down Williams & Connolly for most V10 firms.




Lol wut... why would u ever do that


Well Def if u dont wanna do lit

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L from HYS here: from talking to a bunch of other rising 2Ls after a firm reception in NY earlier this week, the non-matching firms are slowly but surely lowering themselves in the eyes of biglaw-aspiring students creating their bidlists.

FYI, V5!


I'd roll my eyes at you but I'm laughing too hard.


Lol... What you essentially said "I'm an elite HYS student, and my HYS friends and I are not bidding non-190 firms, so they're going to drop in revenue substantially because us HYS'ers will not consider their firms!''

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:TBF I'd probably turn down Williams & Connolly for most V10 firms.




Lol wut... why would u ever do that


Well Def if u dont wanna do lit



Of course, but anon stated they would choose other lit shops over V10 but not W&C? bizarre

thermidor9

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby thermidor9 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Curious -- what is the most important metric in guessing whether a firm will/will not match? Profits per partner/lawyer? Gross revenue? Something else?

Revenue per lawyer. Any metric can be gamed, but that's probably the hardest one to screw with by increasing leverage, de-equitizing partners, etc...

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:02 pm

The W&C guys I know are all gung ho on criminal defense, and they work their asses off and read trial ad books in their time off. Extrapolating from that admittedly small sample size, I could see someone not fitting in there because they just aren’t as in to crim law, or they want to go home earlier, or they’re just not trial nuts.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:TBF I'd probably turn down Williams & Connolly for most V10 firms.

I'd take Keker/MTO/Susman over any V10 firm in a heartbeat. I'd take Bartlit Beck over any of those, not billing hours is GOAT.

These firms command top talent because law students can live off of prestige. And some pay above market. Kellogg's starting salary is 225k.

Also, what's with all the salty people ITT who couldn't get interviews/callbacks at lit boutiques lmao.


Not only does Kellogg pay 225k but their clerk bonus is 175k. I imagine productivity dropped in many chambers besides ours when that recruitment letter arrived, at least until everyone realized they didn’t really have a shot anyway.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L from HYS here: from talking to a bunch of other rising 2Ls after a firm reception in NY earlier this week, the non-matching firms are slowly but surely lowering themselves in the eyes of biglaw-aspiring students creating their bidlists.

FYI, V5!


I'd roll my eyes at you but I'm laughing too hard.


Lol... What you essentially said "I'm an elite HYS student, and my HYS friends and I are not bidding non-190 firms, so they're going to drop in revenue substantially because us HYS'ers will not consider their firms!''


Elite law school kids are the lifeblood of top New York law firms. Look up the summer classes for firms like Davis, Cleary, Cravath, Debevoise, STB, Paul[,] Weiss. Three schools are 40 to 60% of the entire class. If graduates of HLS/CLS/NYU stop going to them, they're gonna be very upset. (They can't often get YLS/SLS grads.). Schools like Duke/Georgetown/Virginia matter much, much less.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L from HYS here: from talking to a bunch of other rising 2Ls after a firm reception in NY earlier this week, the non-matching firms are slowly but surely lowering themselves in the eyes of biglaw-aspiring students creating their bidlists.

FYI, V5!


I'd roll my eyes at you but I'm laughing too hard.


Lol... What you essentially said "I'm an elite HYS student, and my HYS friends and I are not bidding non-190 firms, so they're going to drop in revenue substantially because us HYS'ers will not consider their firms!''


Elite law school kids are the lifeblood of top New York law firms. Look up the summer classes for firms like Davis, Cleary, Cravath, Debevoise, STB, Paul[,] Weiss. Three schools are 40 to 60% of the entire class. If graduates of HLS/CLS/NYU stop going to them, they're gonna be very upset. (They can't often get YLS/SLS grads.). Schools like Duke/Georgetown/Virginia matter much, much less.


NYU is not an elite law school. Try again.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:08 pm

What is the Paul Weiss comma joke? Is it related to the stupid ESPN articles calling it Paul/Weiss re the colangelo thing?

Anonymous User
Posts: 320773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC to 200k

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L from HYS here: from talking to a bunch of other rising 2Ls after a firm reception in NY earlier this week, the non-matching firms are slowly but surely lowering themselves in the eyes of biglaw-aspiring students creating their bidlists.

FYI, V5!


I'd roll my eyes at you but I'm laughing too hard.


Lol... What you essentially said "I'm an elite HYS student, and my HYS friends and I are not bidding non-190 firms, so they're going to drop in revenue substantially because us HYS'ers will not consider their firms!''


Elite law school kids are the lifeblood of top New York law firms. Look up the summer classes for firms like Davis, Cleary, Cravath, Debevoise, STB, Paul[,] Weiss. Three schools are 40 to 60% of the entire class. If graduates of HLS/CLS/NYU stop going to them, they're gonna be very upset. (They can't often get YLS/SLS grads.). Schools like Duke/Georgetown/Virginia matter much, much less.


NYU is not an elite law school. Try again.


Take it up with DPW and Paul, Weiss recruiting.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&start=50

Davis Polk, all offices

Total - 138
NYU 23
Columbia 17
Harvard 16
Yale 15
Stanford 7
Penn 7
Virginia 6
Georgetown 5
Michigan 5
Berkeley 4
Fordham 4
Northwestern 4
Cornell 3
Chicago 3
Duke 3
Brooklyn 2
UCLA 2
UC Hastings 2
Hofstra 2
Osgoode 1
George Washington 1
Emory 1
St. John's 1
Vanderbilt 1
Howard 1
BYU 1
Seton Hall 1


http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&start=25

Paul, Weiss

total: 129

NYU (31)
Harvard (19)
Columbia (18)
Yale (7)
Georgetown (6)
Penn (6)
Cardozo (5)
Cornell (4)
Fordham (4)
Stanford (4)
Berkeley (3)
Duke (3)
Toronto (3)
George Washington (2)
Northwestern (2)
Vanderbilt (2)
Boston University (1)
Brooklyn (1)
Howard (1)
Michigan (1)
Osgoode (1)
Texas (1)
UNC (1)
USC (1)
William & Mary (1)
Washington (1)



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.