Hudson Yards Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Hudson Yards

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:39 pm

Anyone on the inside hearing anything about the completion date for 55 hudson yards? I know a few biglaw firms are moving there, supposedly this fall.

1styearlateral

Silver

Re: Hudson Yards

Post by 1styearlateral » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:56 pm

This was a good use of anon.

ithrowds

Bronze

Post by ithrowds » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:10 pm

Is this the building that Boies Schiller, Cooley, and Milbank are moving to? If so, a friend at Silver Lake is also moving in there and he says not til Jan 2019 at the earliest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:23 pm

Cooley is moving there. There will be cubicles for all associates. Mid-2019 is what we hear.

ithrowds

Bronze

Post by ithrowds » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cooley is moving there. There will be cubicles for all associates. Mid-2019 is what we hear.
Cubicles instead of offices for all associates? That sounds rough...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:07 pm

yes - pod-like desks out in the open in the hallways. Less than cubicles.

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:11 pm

ithrowds wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cooley is moving there. There will be cubicles for all associates. Mid-2019 is what we hear.
a cost savings under the guise of millennial C O L L A B O R A T I O N

ithrowds

Bronze

Post by ithrowds » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:27 pm

misterjames wrote:
ithrowds wrote:
Sucks for those associates, but it does sound like a decent number of firms in New York are slowly shifting towards this model

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:34 pm

ithrowds wrote:
misterjames wrote:
ithrowds wrote:
Sucks for those associates, but it does sound like a decent number of firms in New York are slowly shifting towards this model
That would literally be a dealbreaker for me if I was choosing between more than one similar firm. It sounds silly but the effect on your quality of life and ability to be productive during busy times would be massive. I would take a pay cut to have a door that closes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ithrowds

Bronze

Post by ithrowds » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote: That would literally be a dealbreaker for me if I was choosing between more than one similar firm. It sounds silly but the effect on your quality of life and ability to be productive during busy times would be massive. I would take a pay cut to have a door that closes.
I agree, the problem is these days that choice is not necessarily between an open office floor plan vs. your own office, but rather, open office floor plan vs. an office shared with another junior associate (which is the case with a lot of the larger NY-based firms)

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:54 pm

ithrowds wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: That would literally be a dealbreaker for me if I was choosing between more than one similar firm. It sounds silly but the effect on your quality of life and ability to be productive during busy times would be massive. I would take a pay cut to have a door that closes.
I agree, the problem is these days that choice is not necessarily between an open office floor plan vs. your own office, but rather, open office floor plan vs. an office shared with another junior associate (which is the case with a lot of the larger NY-based firms)
Even though a shared office isn't ideal, it's still much better than having a completely open floor plan. Particularly if you get along well with your office mate or if that person is otherwise unobtrusive

spha12

New

Post by spha12 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ithrowds wrote:
misterjames wrote:
ithrowds wrote:
That would literally be a dealbreaker for me if I was choosing between more than one similar firm. It sounds silly but the effect on your quality of life and ability to be productive during busy times would be massive. I would take a pay cut to have a door that closes.
It's not silly. It's a very valid concern. Quality of life is a lot worse when everyone is in one big room and sees when you come in and out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:05 am

spha12 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ithrowds wrote:
misterjames wrote:
ithrowds wrote:
It's not silly. It's a very valid concern. Quality of life is a lot worse when everyone is in one big room and sees when you come in and out.
Agreed and its not just about what time you come in and out.

Its about distraction, privacy etc.

It used to be standard with New York firms that first years shared an office and then after the first year you get your own. Now more and more firms are moving towards shared offices for longer.

Friends in other markets acted like sharing for the first year was a big deal but I actually didn't mind. You get someone to run things by and commiserate with and you are unlikely to have the kind of role on a case that requires you to be on the phone all day.

But any longer than that is a problem. When you are in the middle of a busy case and trying to crank out something that takes a lot of thought under time pressure and someone is trying to take a conference call next to you, its really not fun.

And that is if you do get along with someone well. And that is you get along well with your office mate. I can't imagine how much worse this would be in an open office. At least in a shared office you can put on headphones if you are distracted, or take a personal call if you need to, or sometimes have the space to yourself. This might be fine for a different kind of job but it would make life really hard as a junior lawyer. Any spin the firms put on it is just cover for the fact that they are saving money at the cost of associates' quality of life (and productivity).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:02 am

are BSF and Milbank also going to have the same open office arrangement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:57 pm

Milbank is doing offices (source: a managing partner told us this at lunch when I was a summer).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”