Taking leave to join a political campaign Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Taking leave to join a political campaign

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:19 am

I was recently presented with the opportunity to hop on a political campaign for 2018 and am pretty interested. Currently working in big law in a major market while the campaign would be in flyover country. I'm a third-year associate and would like to return to the firm (or stay if that would be possible) post-campaign but am intrigued by the idea of working on the campaign and developing connections in the state I will likely move to if/when I decide to leave big law. I wouldn't need to start on the position until early-mid May at the earliest. Has anyone done anything like this? Not really sure how my firm would react.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Taking leave to join a political campaign

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:03 am

Serious question: why would the firm allow a leave of absence like this? You are a third year. They are just going to replace you the moment you ask.

That said, I would take the political job (assuming the candidate has any sort of chance and isn't a reputation ruiner) over biglaw any day of the week. But if you think your firm is magically gonna hold your job for you, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:40 am

I think it would be possible. Ask a partner who likes you and with whom you work closely how they'd handle it and go from there. Really depends on whether the firm likes you. Some firms have formal fellowship programs where you can leave and work for a nonprofit for a year. While I doubt this would qualify for a fellowship since it's political, I'd try to pitch it as analogous. Make sure to think about how health insurance and other benefits will work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:02 pm

I know a guy from an elite boutique who left to work for a 2016 campaign for a while.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:31 pm

I've heard of people doing this at my large NYC firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:54 pm

Yes, many firms will do this for you, particularly if you are well-liked. You should ask a mentor you trust before asking formally.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:04 pm

first poster is way too cynical and simultaneously not cynical enough. why would a firm do that? A connection to a politician is gold and it can be created by permitting exactly what OP is describing. I've seen it done.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:07 pm

I haven't heard of this specifically in my office, but people do take somewhat regular absences that the firm tolerates. 6 month maternity leave, secondment, etc. At least they don't have to pay you!

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:38 am

Lots of people at my firm left to go work for their home town operations of the Hillary Clinton campaign for the month before the election. All came back. The firm seemed fine with it.

I helped on a friend’s major statewide election by working late ass hours every day to juggle my biglaw job and campaign responsibilities. That sucked and I don’t recommend it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”