Going In House as a Junior Associate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Going In House as a Junior Associate

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:05 pm

Has anyone gone in house after practicing in big law for a little under two years? I am currently at a "big" firm in a secondary market, practicing labor and employment law (mainly litigation). I really enjoy this area but the people I work with are awful. I joined this group because of some other attorneys who recently left the firm, and now I am stuck with a group of people I do not enjoy working with. I have considered switching groups but it does not seem feasible.

I recently had a friend refer me to an in house corporate associate position at a publicly traded tech company. The people seem awesome, there are a lot of job perks, and there is a lot more flexibility. I am tempted to take this position but my main hesitation is closing doors down the road. Has anyone been in this position? What were the job prospects in 5 years? Any opportunity to go back to a firm? Would love any insight.

Also, I worked in financial services for nearly a decade before going to law school. I am hoping that gives me a little bit more of an advantage when it comes to getting a different gig down the road.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Re: Going In House as a Junior Associate

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:58 am

This job sounds awesome. Someone at my firm went in-house after 1 year. My guess is that it would be possible back to a big firm but I defer to others.

Anonymous User

Re: Going In House as a Junior Associate

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:00 am

A former client left a corporate group right after getting his second year bonus, went in house for two years and just put in notice that he's going to quit the in house job to go back to a firm. I get the sense it's not impossible but I think it helped that a partner from a prior firm remembered him and liked him well enough to give him a call when the partner switched firms.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”