Non-Legal Options- where to look? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Non-Legal Options- where to look?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi,

Long story short- I graduated in May, pretty low rank at an average school. Failed the NY bar once, now waiting on Feb results. I never wanted to go to law school- was pushed into it by fam- and am now trying to figure out how to move on. Everyone keeps saying I can "do anything" with a legal degree but that doesn't seem to be the case, clearly. I've searched these boards and looked into some resources mentioned- but thought I'd create a new thread. I studied Journalism in undergrad and that was always my primary interest. I can't financially afford to start another Masters and also can't afford to move anywhere without a solid starting salary (currently living in the middle of nowhere), so can't really look at internships at all. I have no debt though, thankfully.

Any ideas for good sources for journalism jobs, any aspect of it, in NYC/London/other big cities? I regularly check all the normal media outlets and others like Conde Nast but I feel like at 26 and with the past 4 years (basically) spent on law school I'm the opposite of desirable. Been dealing with personal issues (and retaking the bar) since graduating but now need to take it all more seriously. I've applied to a few jobs as junior editors/managing editors/etc and have tied in my 4.0 GPA in my journalism major in undergrad with being an editor on a journal, being published, being president of clubs, hosting events in my law school, etc and haven't been able to even get an interview. Any tips for job sources AND how to sell the time "wasted" in law school would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Civilservant

New

Re: Non-Legal Options- where to look?

Post by Civilservant » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:31 am

There are a lot of jobs at Bloomberg for their legal reporting bureau, I would scan their openings. If you want to be a journalist, you should be doing a lot of writing. Tons of journalists are freelancers, what is stopping you from submitting articles right now? It is nice that you had a 4.0, but actual skills and work product are way more valuable.

Anonymous User

Re: Non-Legal Options- where to look?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:28 pm

Civilservant wrote:There are a lot of jobs at Bloomberg for their legal reporting bureau, I would scan their openings. If you want to be a journalist, you should be doing a lot of writing. Tons of journalists are freelancers, what is stopping you from submitting articles right now? It is nice that you had a 4.0, but actual skills and work product are way more valuable.
I agree with this. With the way the journalism industry has changed, a lot of people go freelance and make a name for themselves before ever being staffed at a paper. Some writers develop a major Twitter following and establish a reader base, then you become more attractive as a writer.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”