Risk of JD Preferred Role? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BrooklynDodger89

New

Risk of JD Preferred Role?

Post by BrooklynDodger89 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:56 am

I am a fourth year big law associate that can use some advice on how risky it is to take a "JD preferred" position. A big chunk of my practice relates to a niche, compliance-related area of law that I actually find pretty interesting. I'm currently interviewing for a government position that is related to this area, but the catch is that the role is JD preferred, and is more of an examiner/compliance position.

My question is: If I take this job, will it prevent me from moving back to a more traditional attorney position in the future? I would appreciate hearing from anyone that works in a similar role or has transitioned from a JD preferred role back to a more traditional attorney job.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Return to “Legal Employment”