Doc review job to prove my interest in working in region?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Doc review job to prove my interest in working in region?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi all,

I just took the Feb. bar in Georgia. On top of the tough job market, I'm facing an issue in which (1) employers likely think I'm a flight risk because all of my work experience is in my home state where I didn't take the bar, and (2) my target market is notoriously sensitive to flight risk. I believe my past two interviews went poorly because the interviewing attorneys didn't believe I was serious about working in their market for the long-term.

The only offer I've received in my target market is for doc review. I have a few days to decide whether to accept the position. I do not need the money (have almost no loan debt). So, I'm left trying to decide what long-term value there might be having a local doc review gig on my resume while I look for something better. Do you think employers will take me more seriously with doc review experience in their market, or is it something I should only do if I need the money? Any input is appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Doc review job to prove my interest in working in region?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:45 am

If you don't need the money, you're probably better off showing your commitment to the community through something like volunteering.

It just adds more to the story that you're committed to the region because from what you're saying, it sounds like you need a better narrative.

There's probably not much advantage to document review through an agency aside from extra money. If the document review job is for a local firm and not through an agency, then maybe it might show that you're willing to do boring work to stay in the region, and you can try to sell that. If the document review job is for a firm, there's the added side that you could eventually be hired by the local firm if you do a great job and somehow standout from the masses. There are full time document review attorney positions at Vault 100 firms and regional midsize firms, and I've seen some of them go from temps, to staff, to associates/counsel. There's a danger there of being pigeonholed into document review though, because you really aren't developing legal skills, so it's a rough bet to take.

But I still think volunteering through the local bar association or a local charity would be an easier sell that you're committed to the region. It's really just more about selling that you want to be there, and doing what you can to add to that sales pitch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:...

But I still think volunteering through the local bar association or a local charity would be an easier sell that you're committed to the region. It's really just more about selling that you want to be there, and doing what you can to add to that sales pitch.

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't considered volunteering yet. My current opportunity is for doc review with a third party outfit that receives cases from other firms in the area. So, I don't see much value there besides the pay check. I'll see if I can find a volunteer job for the time being.

sparty99

Gold

Postby sparty99 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

I just took the Feb. bar in Georgia. On top of the tough job market, I'm facing an issue in which (1) employers likely think I'm a flight risk because all of my work experience is in my home state where I didn't take the bar, and (2) my target market is notoriously sensitive to flight risk. I believe my past two interviews went poorly because the interviewing attorneys didn't believe I was serious about working in their market for the long-term.

The only offer I've received in my target market is for doc review. I have a few days to decide whether to accept the position. I do not need the money (have almost no loan debt). So, I'm left trying to decide what long-term value there might be having a local doc review gig on my resume while I look for something better. Do you think employers will take me more seriously with doc review experience in their market, or is it something I should only do if I need the money? Any input is appreciated.

I would do document review because you learn about discovery which is often times boring but a critical part of litigation. Additionally, you get paid. You need to explain why you chose Georgia. Tell them you could have taken the bar in 49 other states, but you chose Georgia for a reason. Then explain why you are not interested in relocating back to your home state.

Return to “Legal Employment�