1L summer in a PE fund vs. Fed judicial internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L summer in a PE fund vs. Fed judicial internship

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:57 am

Hi all—I recently accepted a judicial internship with a federal judge but just received an interview request for an in house paid position in a large fund (Blackstone/KKR). Both require an 8-week commitment. My question is, if I do pass the interview but splitting is not allowed, is the in-house position worth it in terms of quality of work/more weight at OCI to justify reneging on a federal judge, or do they not make much difference? I would obviously want to make the money but am somehow hesitant to burn bridges/if OCI result would be the same.

Thanks much!

Anonymous User

Re: 1L summer in a PE fund vs. Fed judicial internship

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:33 am

I think this really depends on your stats. If you are top 10% at say CCN the math is a bit different than being median at a t14.

I think it could get you better interviews if you have average stats but it's about equal if you have good stats.

curepure

New

Postby curepure » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:03 pm

If you wanna do transactional work, or want to entertain the idea of trying finance/consulting, mega fund in-house over fed internship for sure.

umichman

Bronze

Postby umichman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:11 pm

I think that getting a paid job 1l year is the way to go unless it is non-legal or at a podunk firm that could mar your resume.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Postby sparkytrainer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:38 pm

I also think this matters on the judge. If this is in SDNY, DDC, or similar type court, then the judge might be worth it. But if this is the western district of NC or something, go with the paid gig.

Return to “Legal Employment?