Resubmitting After Rejection Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Resubmitting After Rejection

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:42 pm

Hello,

I'm in the process of applying to lateral positions, and I had a few questions about the application process.

1) If your application is denied through the use of a recruiter, is it possible to resubmit your application through an internal contact within the firm? I would have used an internal contact to begin with, but we connected after the recruiter had already submitted my materials.

2) In general, are you able to resubmit your application for a specific position after a designated time period has passed? For instance, if a position has been posted for several months and something has changed in your application packet since you first applied (bar passage, experience, etc.) Can this be done directly and/or through a recruiter? I've heard of a six-month rule for using a recruiter.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Anonymous User

Re: Resubmitting After Rejection

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:26 pm

I can speak to 1. A recruiter I was working with recently submitted my resume to a firm without telling me. I found out because I had a friend at that firm who tried to submit me internally, only to find out from recruiting that they had my resume already. I spoke to the lateral recruiting contact at the firm who informed me the recruiter had submitted my resume (for the wrong group no less) and the firm had passed. I inquired about re-submitting via my internal contact for the correct group since the recruiter did not ask my permission to submit and I was told (A) it would cause issues that the recruiting team did not really want to deal with because I would have to formally contest the recruiter's "claim" to my resume and (B) since the firm had passed on my resume already, it would not be a good look for me to submit again in such a short time period, especially for a different group (i.e. they would likely pass again).

Your scenario is even less likely to lead to an interview considering it sounds like you authorized the recruiter to submit you and they already passed.

Anonymous User

Re: Resubmitting After Rejection

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can speak to 1. A recruiter I was working with recently submitted my resume to a firm without telling me. I found out because I had a friend at that firm who tried to submit me internally, only to find out from recruiting that they had my resume already. I spoke to the lateral recruiting contact at the firm who informed me the recruiter had submitted my resume (for the wrong group no less) and the firm had passed. I inquired about re-submitting via my internal contact for the correct group since the recruiter did not ask my permission to submit and I was told (A) it would cause issues that the recruiting team did not really want to deal with because I would have to formally contest the recruiter's "claim" to my resume and (B) since the firm had passed on my resume already, it would not be a good look for me to submit again in such a short time period, especially for a different group (i.e. they would likely pass again).

Your scenario is even less likely to lead to an interview considering it sounds like you authorized the recruiter to submit you and they already passed.
Thank you for your input! I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It makes me even more wary about continuing to use a recruiter as it seems better to generally always go through an internal contact, if possible.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”