Question re biglaw applicationautomation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
biglawquestion1111

New

Question re biglaw applicationautomation

Post by biglawquestion1111 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:07 am

My question is pretty simple but requires a bit of explanation. In applying to various firms, I've noticed that they all seem to be using the same application software. It's one of these stupid systems where you need to manually fill in a bunch of information, then upload a resume that contains all the same stuff. The fields include things like name, education, jobs, etc. Presumably the employee who set up the questions chose which fields were "required," as they seem to differ from firm to firm (e.g. sometimes whether or not I have a middle name is required, sometimes GPA is required, and so forth).

I've been rather lax in filling in the fields because my resume has all the information they are requesting. It occurred to me after a few applications that they're probably using the manually filled-in stuff to filter applicants. So that's my question: are they? For example, I haven't filled in my GPA/grades on any applications that didn't make it a required field, nor have I listed my honors/class rank. I've basically been filling in only the "required" fields and ignoring everything else, assuming that my resume will be viewed. This may have been naive.

Anyone in a position to definitively know?

Thanks a lot.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Re: Question re biglaw applicationautomation

Post by lawhopeful100 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:53 am

biglawquestion1111 wrote:My question is pretty simple but requires a bit of explanation. In applying to various firms, I've noticed that they all seem to be using the same application software. It's one of these stupid systems where you need to manually fill in a bunch of information, then upload a resume that contains all the same stuff. The fields include things like name, education, jobs, etc. Presumably the employee who set up the questions chose which fields were "required," as they seem to differ from firm to firm (e.g. sometimes whether or not I have a middle name is required, sometimes GPA is required, and so forth).

I've been rather lax in filling in the fields because my resume has all the information they are requesting. It occurred to me after a few applications that they're probably using the manually filled-in stuff to filter applicants. So that's my question: are they? For example, I haven't filled in my GPA/grades on any applications that didn't make it a required field, nor have I listed my honors/class rank. I've basically been filling in only the "required" fields and ignoring everything else, assuming that my resume will be viewed. This may have been naive.

Thanks a lot.
Hopefully someone will know for sure, but I would always at least fill out the gpa and class rank sections in case firms would auto screen based on that criteria. In the event you don’t get a definitive answer, I would be safe and fill out those two boxes.

nealric

Re: Question re biglaw applicationautomation

Post by nealric » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:58 am

biglawquestion1111 wrote:My question is pretty simple but requires a bit of explanation. In applying to various firms, I've noticed that they all seem to be using the same application software. It's one of these stupid systems where you need to manually fill in a bunch of information, then upload a resume that contains all the same stuff. The fields include things like name, education, jobs, etc. Presumably the employee who set up the questions chose which fields were "required," as they seem to differ from firm to firm (e.g. sometimes whether or not I have a middle name is required, sometimes GPA is required, and so forth).

Thanks a lot.
You shouldn't be relying on the recruiting folks to find your application either way. Outside of 2L SA hiring, you should always be applying through an attorney in the office that you know (or you've spoken to) or through a recruiter (less desirable than an attorney).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”