Asking to start as an associate in another office

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Asking to start as an associate in another office

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:34 am

I live in a small state, very insular legal market. I graduated from my state law school 2 years ago and have been clerking for a state trial court judge. I recently applied to firms and got a few offers, including from my top choice. However a couple of days ago, my husband, after not hearing anything for more than a month, got an interview for a job in DC. He is a finalist for that job and it is a job that he would be interested in taking. My questions are:
1. My husband's interview is on Monday. My job offer, which has been open for 1 week, expires at the end of this week. Is it ok to ask for more time? Do I explain the reason for requesting more time?
2. The firm that I received an offer from is affiliated with an international firm that has an office in DC. Would it be appropriate to ask if I could work in the DC office? If my husband does take the job in DC, it wouldn't be for more than 2 years. After 2 years, we would move back home and I would like to continue working for the firm.
3. If the law firm says no and we move to DC anyway, how hard would it be for me to get a job at a good law firm being that I went to a state school?
4. Does anyone have any other suggestions for how to handle this situation?

deadpanic

Silver

Re: Asking to start as an associate in another office

Postby deadpanic » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:57 am

Definitely ask for an extension on the offer.
What do you mean by "affiliated?" If it what I think it is, the firm is co-counsel with the international firm on local matters. I don't think that affiliation is going to get you very far, but doesn't hurt to ask.
If by "good" firm in DC you mean BigLaw, very slim chance, close to zero. The DC market is notoriously hard to crack. I think you will need to cast a vary wide net there and be open to non-firm jobs. Maybe reach out to law school alums in the area.
This is obviously a big personal decision, but sounds like you all have made your minds up to follow your husband's career rather than yours (which is totally fine--not meant to sound judgmental). I think if you go to DC your career path is going to A LOT different vs starting at the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:10 pm

The last update I heard was that a merger was close to being finalized. Would you recommend using a recruiter? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:25 pm

Just based on what I've read (please correct me if I'm wrong), I think using a recruiter wouldn't necessarily help you get the job. The thing about recruiters is that they help connecting people to firms when the firm's needs aren't public (i.e., no open job posting on firm website), but if the position is open, then there'd be a strike against you cuz the firm would have to pay a fee to the recruiter to actually hire you (as opposed to a candidate who just applied directly). If this is your first firm job, I would recommend staying at the job and doing long distance (or try to move to the affiliated office) than going to DC trying to find a new job. As the above poster mentioned, the DC market is extremely hard to crack!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:00 am

OP here. Husband got the job so we will likely be moving to DC. Is it appropriate to ask to work at the international firm that is acquiring the firm that gave me an offer? Or, what are the chances that I will be able to work remotely?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:14 am

It doesn’t hurt to ask. My firm worked with an associate who needed to work out of our DC office for a few years. But it was under the requirement that they would move to our office after that. They didn’t end up moving back, though.

Your situation is a little different since the merger has yet to occur. Also, not to be rude or anything, but if the DC international firm has higher hiring standards than your current firm, the DC firm may not be okay with a current applicant from a firm it has yet to acquire asking to work in its office.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Postby sparkytrainer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:25 am

OP, are you and your husband going to be able to afford you not working while he is in DC? Not to be mean, but the chances of you getting a biglaw job is close to 0%. You might be able to find some work in a govt agency or with a small firm, but if you want to move back to the market you are currently in, I think the true answer here is to take the job offer and stay in your hometown while your husband is in dc. Otherwise you moving to DC you are going to have a hard time finding a firm that will pay you will. Not only is DC an extremely hard market to crack, it is also extremely oversaturated. Even if you find an agency job paying 50k, it might be a year before you do.

Return to “Legal Employment?