what is going on at Kirkland Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

what is going on at Kirkland

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:02 pm

there's a full court press from every associate I know to get laterals

Anonymous User

Re: what is going on at Kirkland

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:36 pm

what do you mean? people want to leave kirkland, or people want to try and get hired there as laterals?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:37 pm

what do you mean? people trying to get into kirkland, or leave kirkland?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:58 pm

no the associates there are like posting on LinkedIn and various listservs recruiting folks. Unusually hard press

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:27 am

Associates there spamming recruiting messages about how they're hiring laterals

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:53 am

Well, they just opened the Boston office. When they move to a new city, they tend to hire local attorneys and/or partners.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:01 am

Referral bonus was temporarily raised to $50k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Referral bonus was temporarily raised to $50k.

Haha makes sense

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:33 pm

LOL. Someone from my law school was posting about how he could pass along anyones resume if they wanted to work at Kirkland. I had a suspicion he was looking to earn a referral fee.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Referral bonus was temporarily raised to $50k.
What's normal at Kirkland and any other firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:26 am

Has been hilarious to watch my law school friends who hate their lives at K&E start extolling the virtues of the firm all over social media.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:17 pm

Are these only for transactional / financial openings? Any sense on litigation?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Any of the offices hiring 3Ls with good credentials?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:53 pm

I don't think litigation is hiring laterals right now, but probably in the corporate department on a case-by-case basis. I can't speak to all offices or practice groups, but I know in my office and practice group, everyone is very busy. I'd reach out to someone you know at the firm and get their sense on whether there's need in your practice area. The referral bonus is for practicing attorneys only so people probably won't be reaching out to you, but that isn't the same thing as there not being any need.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has been hilarious to watch my law school friends who hate their lives at K&E start extolling the virtues of the firm all over social media.
I work in Houston, so not sure which office you are talking about, but all my friends at the Houston office actually consistently talk about how much they enjoy working there. Now, with that being said, they all also claim to bill over 2500 hours a year, so I am unsure how those two things are not mutually exclusive. They have also been pitching hard because of the referral bonus, but it isn't a change from their usual banter. If they are offering $50k referral I wonder how much the signing bonus has run up as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has been hilarious to watch my law school friends who hate their lives at K&E start extolling the virtues of the firm all over social media.
I work in Houston, so not sure which office you are talking about, but all my friends at the Houston office actually consistently talk about how much they enjoy working there. Now, with that being said, they all also claim to bill over 2500 hours a year, so I am unsure how those two things are not mutually exclusive. They have also been pitching hard because of the referral bonus, but it isn't a change from their usual banter. If they are offering $50k referral I wonder how much the signing bonus has run up as well.
I would be interested in hearing about where the Houston signing bonus is these days for junior/midlevel associates.

gatorade_potato

New

Post by gatorade_potato » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
It seems to me that K&E's culture is one where the lawyers there seem to really get off on working their asses off. I have heard that the Houston office in particular attracts more intense/aggressive personalities, but most of the people I know at the firm's other offices have a real "work hard, play hard" mentality as well.

Before the Kirkland apologists come in with their anecdotes, I'm not saying that this is necessarily a negative. The firm has done tremendously well in recent years and its culture definitely played a role in their ascension. I just do not feel like it is the ideal place to work for a lot of people (myself included) who don't thrive in such an intense environment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:51 pm

Anybody know if the Boston office is going to start hiring for litigation any time soon?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:36 pm

I'm a 3rd year corp associate in Houston. How much signing bonus are they offering for 3rd years in Houston?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:23 pm

How hard would it be to make a switch to Kirkland (Boston,Houston) as a 3L from a V30?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How hard would it be to make a switch to Kirkland (Boston,Houston) as a 3L from a V30?
Not particularly hard, assuming you have appropriate grades and are focused on corporate work. During the funds retreat in Boston last fall, I know a 3L from a Boston-area school was recruited to a non-NY office.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How hard would it be to make a switch to Kirkland (Boston,Houston) as a 3L from a V30?
Also note that I think it's unlikely a current law student would receive any sort of signing bonus (beyond whatever is standard for incoming first-years, which I don't know because I'm a lateral) and current law students are carved out of the referral program referenced above.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:29 pm

Not too worried about bonuses. Just wondering if the high need for people may lead them to hire qualified 3Ls?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not too worried about bonuses. Just wondering if the high need for people may lead them to hire qualified 3Ls?
This is likely assuming you have appropriate grades and are focused on corporate work. Reach out to recruiting, or better yet someone you know who already works there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:01 am

Anyone have a sense of the signing bonuses on offer to 3rd - 5th year laterals from VE in the O&G and PE/M&A groups. Given that the referral bonus has been raised, i'm curious what, if anything, that means for signing bonuses.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”