At which point in big law is vacation okay?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
miss_scalia

New

At which point in big law is vacation okay?

Postby miss_scalia » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:46 pm

As the subject states, at which point in big law is it generally okay to plan a vacation for 2+ weeks? 1 year mark, 2 year mark, etc.?

I'm trying to plan for large life adjustments which haven't happened during law school/before starting big law.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: At which point in big law is vacation okay?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:16 pm

I just lateralled without taking a vacation and am DYING for a vacation - is 6 month mark OK?

TFALAWL

Bronze

Postby TFALAWL » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:02 pm

When the stars align...

In all seriousness, this will depend entirely on who you work with. At my shop 1st years take 2 weeks or so a year, but tend to do it in the second half of the year (summer, winter).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:17 am

At mine, it's 4 week a year spread them out and you're fine.

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:18 am

TFALAWL wrote:When the stars align...

In all seriousness, this will depend entirely on who you work with. At my shop 1st years take 2 weeks or so a year, but tend to do it in the second half of the year (summer, winter).

I agree with this based on my experience. I think the above is really true at most places. I know there are some dicks out there who don't think first years should take vacations but I think that's the minority. At 6 months in, lateral or first year, I feel like you've probably earned it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:01 am

As a third-year lateral, with 4 weeks a year, I waited for nine months before taking two weeks in Jan. Not a problem, and much to my surprise they didn’t bug me much at all while I was gone.

miss_scalia

New

Postby miss_scalia » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:21 am

Thanks everyone! I will plan for a vacation then after the 1 year mark, and hopefully go from there :)

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Postby lawhopeful100 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:As a third-year lateral, with 4 weeks a year, I waited for nine months before taking two weeks in Jan. Not a problem, and much to my surprise they didn’t bug me much at all while I was gone.

Apologies to hijack the thread here, but I’m about to lateral into a litigation group and I have a one week Italy trip booked for the 4th of July. I was thinking of waiting until I’ve been there a month or two and then talking to an associate and seeing how they treat vacations and how to handle it. I will have been there for like four months by the time the vacation rolls around. Does this strategy make sense.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:03 pm

Worked at a top NY firm that gave the standard 20 days. Took every single day as a first year, including all the days left over from stub year, so 25 days of vacation in all. Take all your vacation.

TFALAWL

Bronze

Postby TFALAWL » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:43 am

miss_scalia wrote:Thanks everyone! I will plan for a vacation then after the 1 year mark, and hopefully go from there :)

C'mon, we're telling ya 6 months is fine ;)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:46 am

lawhopeful100 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a third-year lateral, with 4 weeks a year, I waited for nine months before taking two weeks in Jan. Not a problem, and much to my surprise they didn’t bug me much at all while I was gone.

Apologies to hijack the thread here, but I’m about to lateral into a litigation group and I have a one week Italy trip booked for the 4th of July. I was thinking of waiting until I’ve been there a month or two and then talking to an associate and seeing how they treat vacations and how to handle it. I will have been there for like four months by the time the vacation rolls around. Does this strategy make sense.

I'm currently dealing with this exact situation -- let them know before you start that you have a preplanned vacation (if you went through a recruiter, they'll probably have a template spiel you can give). If you want, I've even heard of people asking to get it in writing.

If, however, you wait until May to tell them, then I think it's fair game they'll say no, and/or be slightly pissed.

sparty99

Gold

Postby sparty99 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:29 pm

lawhopeful100 wrote:

You need to tell them now.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Postby lawhopeful100 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:59 pm

sparty99 wrote:
lawhopeful100 wrote:

You need to tell them now.

Thanks for the replies. My first day is next week. I’ll figure out who to bring it up to and do it first thing. Seems like that’s the best move.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Worked at a top NY firm that gave the standard 20 days. Took every single day as a first year, including all the days left over from stub year, so 25 days of vacation in all. Take all your vacation.

This is the only correct answer. I didn’t use any my stub year but made sure to use them up every year after that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:22 pm

Ya it's part of your comp

It's almost never a good time to take them so you just have to force it

I could imagine it being bad for partner gunners but otherwise who cares

Return to “Legal Employment?