MoFo Tokyo Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

MoFo Tokyo

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:19 pm

Has anyone worked here or known anyone who has? Curious to know what the hours are like, heard they're even worse than NYC biglaw.

Anonymous User

Re: MoFo Tokyo

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:07 pm

I knew someone who worked there. Didn't last too long. Can confirm that this person told worse horror stories than any I heard from NYC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:19 pm

Lol I heard they do good work and give junior associates client contact. Not sure about the hours.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:40 pm

Hrs are bad..........

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:00 pm

Hours comparable to US work. They're the best US firm in Japan.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:06 pm

i worked there. i would not recommend working there unless you really want to be in Japan. The culture in the corporate group is toxic, generally speaking. The litigation group is better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i worked there. i would not recommend working there unless you really want to be in Japan. The culture in the corporate group is toxic, generally speaking. The litigation group is better.
If you can define toxic, I'd really appreciate. Is it about the Japanese hierarchical culture? Or is it about both biglaw and work condition in Japan.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i worked there. i would not recommend working there unless you really want to be in Japan. The culture in the corporate group is toxic, generally speaking. The litigation group is better.
If you can define toxic, I'd really appreciate. Is it about the Japanese hierarchical culture? Or is it about both biglaw and work condition in Japan.
it's the culture of the group in the MoFo office. not really the clients or big law lifestyle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:51 am

I can confirm that the hours are tough, but I don't think that the culture is necessarily toxic. There are good people in the corporate group but also a few who you definitely want to avoid. A former colleague who had NYC big law experience said his hours were worse in our office, which is really saying something, and based on conversations with other lawyers in Tokyo, MoFo is the sweatshop in town. Only worth it if you really want to be in Japan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rapmasterg

New

Post by rapmasterg » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can confirm that the hours are tough, but I don't think that the culture is necessarily toxic. There are good people in the corporate group but also a few who you definitely want to avoid. A former colleague who had NYC big law experience said his hours were worse in our office, which is really saying something, and based on conversations with other lawyers in Tokyo, MoFo is the sweatshop in town. Only worth it if you really want to be in Japan.
Are there places in Tokyo that are notably more chill?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:42 pm

I know many people who worked/work at MoFo's Tokyo office - though I did not work there myself. It is widely regarded among both associates and recruiters (at least those I speak with) as the worst US firm to work for in Tokyo (at least for corporate; I don't know anything about their litigation practice). Compared to other US firms in Tokyo, they work you harder and they pay you less. Also, your exit options in Tokyo are going to be worse coming from MoFo (again, compared to other US firms in Tokyo) because despite being the biggest US law firm in the city, it's not as well regarded. Basically, MoFo Tokyo is where you go when you want biglaw and you need to be in Tokyo, but no other US firms have openings.

In defense of the firm, I'll say that I do know several smart and friendly people who work/worked there. But I also know some people there whom I would never want to work with. If you have literally any other biglaw options in Tokyo, take them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:23 pm

I will share a line my recruiter said when I was looking at firms in Tokyo. "If you get absolutely desperate, I can always get you a job at MoFo Tokyo in two weeks." Fortunately, things never got to that point.

It's a good option for someone who has limited Japanese language skills, but really wants to be in Japan and doesn't mind working longer hours for less pay. MoFo presents themselves to US associates as THE place to be in Japan. That is simply not true. US associates who are familiar with the Tokyo market know it's not where you want to end up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:26 pm

I would seriously consider working as a clerk at FamilyMart over working at MoFo Tokyo. That's hyperbolic -- but not too far off from my true feelings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Wow. What a thread. The question becomes: what are the best firms in Tokyo/East Asia to work for? Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”