Office Doesn't Have Your Practice Group

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawyer54321

New

Office Doesn't Have Your Practice Group

Postby Lawyer54321 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:45 pm

Hey all,

Just looking to get some input on this issue. I'm particularly interested in transactional tax but all the tax lawyers for the firm are in different cities. Do you think this precludes me from pursuing this practice group? How would I go about breaching this topic with the firm. I'm an incoming SA this summer at a firm in the lower half of V100. I don't want to come off as uninterested in other practice groups that are popular at this office like M&A. I just found out this year how much I love tax and am hoping that I could do work in this area even if its only on a part time basis for the deals the firm works on.

On a separate issue are any firms open to deferring your start date by a year (or less) for you to obtain a tax llm? Especially given the situation described above where the office I would be working at does not have a tax group?

Any input is helpful.

spha12

New

Re: Office Doesn't Have Your Practice Group

Postby spha12 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:28 pm

Very unlikely they'll let you practice in a group as complex as tax completely remote from any partners or even associates to supervise you and train you in the same office.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Re: Office Doesn't Have Your Practice Group

Postby unlicensedpotato » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:32 pm

Lawyer54321 wrote:Hey all,

Just looking to get some input on this issue. I'm particularly interested in transactional tax but all the tax lawyers for the firm are in different cities. Do you think this precludes me from pursuing this practice group? How would I go about breaching this topic with the firm. I'm an incoming SA this summer at a firm in the lower half of V100. I don't want to come off as uninterested in other practice groups that are popular at this office like M&A. I just found out this year how much I love tax and am hoping that I could do work in this area even if its only on a part time basis for the deals the firm works on.

On a separate issue are any firms open to deferring your start date by a year (or less) for you to obtain a tax llm? Especially given the situation described above where the office I would be working at does not have a tax group?

Any input is helpful.

You don't need an LLM at all.

I think it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to start as a new tax associate without at least one or two other tax attorneys in your office, even if the firm would let you. You could try and get some tax assignments as an SA and, if you like them, ask about transferring to a different office to start as an associate. Or just do corporate or whatever as an SA, get your offer and then ask to switch offices and apply to other firms with tax groups as a 3L. Tax is a great group and, if you're interested in it, you should definitely do tax over corporate (in other words, find a firm and office that will let you do tax).

Return to “Legal Employment�