Public Interest Background in a Firm Interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Public Interest Background in a Firm Interview

Postby jemi1588 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:40 pm

All throughout law school I did public interest work, even during my summers, and am now in a federal clerkship. I'm interviewing at a small lit boutique next week and I want the firm to know that despite my background and my interests I want to work and grow with the firm. I often think that partners tend to shy away from associates who look like they might jump ship in 1-2 years for a public interest job and so I want them to know I'm committed to the firm. How do I make them believe in me in that way? Help is appreciated, thanks!

Re: Public Interest Background in a Firm Interview

Postby rowingmyboat » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:53 pm

I wouldn't be too concerned. Make sure that when you talk about your experiences, you talk about what skills you gained rather than hyping the cause. (Ex. Instead of "I was glad to get to help the homeless, it's my great passion in life" say "Through the experience, i was able to write briefs/do interviews/other legal skill, which gave me a hands on experience that can be hard to get in law school."). And don't ask about their pro bono policy.

Return to “Legal Employment”