JD jobs in a bank?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
girlinthecity

New

JD jobs in a bank?

Postby girlinthecity » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:14 pm

Hello everyone. :)

What are some jobs that a JD could do for a bank or for a financial regulatory organization/firm/body/entity? Most specifically in compliance with an eye towards going into BigLaw or BigFed after years of experience.

Thanks all!

Yugihoe

Silver

Re: JD jobs in a bank?

Postby Yugihoe » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:33 pm

Tag

girlinthecity

New

Postby girlinthecity » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:43 pm

Sorry but what does "tag" mean? I'm new at this forum stuff. :)

misterjames

Bronze

Postby misterjames » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:39 pm

I'm an AGC in a bank, was previously counsel at a regulatory agency. The obvious answer is you could be an attorney, but I'm assuming by "JD" you mean non-barred? If so, then compliance or internal audit on the bank side, and an examiner on the agency side. Admittedly I think you'd have to be a stand-out candidate to go from either of those positions to big law. All of the "big fed" banking regulators hire examiners though.

girlinthecity

New

Postby girlinthecity » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:15 pm

Thanks for the reply. :)

When I say JD I mean a barred attorney, so I would definitely want to make use of that.

Yugihoe

Silver

Postby Yugihoe » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:18 am

What's the pay like for people in compliance on the bank side? 1st year thinking of leaving big law for a more life-style friendly position.

misterjames

Bronze

Postby misterjames » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:00 pm

Yugihoe wrote:What's the pay like for people in compliance on the bank side? 1st year thinking of leaving big law for a more life-style friendly position.

Really depends on size of the institution, location, and level of experience. At one year from a big firm I'd imagine the pay is decent, but definitely less than an in-house attorney at the same institution. I'd recommend doing a lot of research before you make that jump though. We have a few people here that have made a similar move and it seems like very boring work (to me at least), with little opportunity to make the reverse move if you later change your mind.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:44 pm

girlinthecity wrote:Sorry but what does "tag" mean? I'm new at this forum stuff. :)

It means you're "it" now go run and hide.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:49 pm

I don't know where you're in school/ what your grades are like but some banks do front office JD recruiting. Credit Suisse, for instance, has a team that recruits investment bankers from law schools but I think that it's a pretty competitive program.

Return to “Legal Employment�