How to get midlaw/small firm interviews for this summer???

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawdude500

New

How to get midlaw/small firm interviews for this summer???

Postby Lawdude500 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:59 pm

I'm really trying to get some kind of firm job, hopefully in New york/NYC, but I don't know how to get interviews/contact these firms. I've been sort of going through firms with 50-100 people and just cold-emailing but is that what I should be doing at this point? Or should I be reaching out to the alumni at these firms instead? Our Symplicity puts up some random internship once every 2-3 days and it's rarely a firm job (mostly judges/government)

Furthermore, assuming I want to try for biglaw 3L OCI (which borders on impossible I understand) or just to get myself in the best position for getting a job next year, what would be the best alternative to a firm job this summer?? Government work? A judge? I went in-house my first summer so I kind of want to get a different experience...

Losing hope here... I keep hearing about other people and their summer plans, and it's becoming pretty damn depressing. Thanks for any help. I go to a t-14, GPA is just below median.

BasilHallward

Silver

Re: How to get midlaw/small firm interviews for this summer???

Postby BasilHallward » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:24 pm

Lawdude500 wrote:I'm really trying to get some kind of firm job, hopefully in New york/NYC, but I don't know how to get interviews/contact these firms. I've been sort of going through firms with 50-100 people and just cold-emailing but is that what I should be doing at this point? Or should I be reaching out to the alumni at these firms instead? Our Symplicity puts up some random internship once every 2-3 days and it's rarely a firm job (mostly judges/government)

Furthermore, assuming I want to try for biglaw 3L OCI (which borders on impossible I understand) or just to get myself in the best position for getting a job next year, what would be the best alternative to a firm job this summer?? Government work? A judge? I went in-house my first summer so I kind of want to get a different experience...

Losing hope here... I keep hearing about other people and their summer plans, and it's becoming pretty damn depressing. Thanks for any help. I go to a t-14, GPA is just below median.

First, you should be looking for a summer position in the market you want to be in long term. At least this way, you can network in this city, showing potential firms that you want to be there. This does not matter so much for NYC, but then again, you're honing in on smaller/mid-size firms. Next, the distinction between judge and government doesn't matter all that much (although I would look for a federal judge if possible), especially if you're shooting for a firm gig. Last, don't get down on yourself. It's still early. Have a good attitude in the summer and learn as much as possible. You're at a good school. The connections you make over the summer (alumni) could be absolutely crucial. You better be getting lunch, coffee, etc. every opportunity you get.

Return to “Legal Employment�