2L Chances to get biglaw down the road? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
transfer4biglaw

New

2L Chances to get biglaw down the road?

Post by transfer4biglaw » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:41 am

I transferred from a T2 school to a top 20 school. I struck out at the new school's OCI because my transferring GPA was not great. I got pretty lucky to be admitted. I'll be around 3.5-3.6 gpa after this semester since we get new GPAs. I was wondering what advice you might have to get biglaw at 3L oci or lateralling later. As of now I'm interviewing at small /mid firms now for my 2L summer. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: 2L Chances to get biglaw down the road?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:11 pm

Hey. I'm actually in a similar boat.

From what I understand, 3L OCI really sucks, but assuming you have a good GPA, and an explanation as to why you didn't get biglaw 2L summer ("I transferred a bit late, etc.) than I've heard it's very difficult but doable. I'm not sure what the median is at your school, but assuming a 3.5/3.6 is up there, you have a shot at least. Regardless, during 3L OCI you should be targeting midlaw firms as well just in case. As far as lateralling, assuming you get a good midlaw gig, you can lateral after a couple years if you do good work. This is all info that I've heard from TLS/law school.

If I can ask for myself, how are you getting these mid/small firm interviews for this upcoming summer? I'm still trying to get a summer gig and have had trouble getting interviews for the mid/small firms. You use symplicity, alumni searches? Or just raw google? Thanks, would be helpful.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”