LegalZoom and Similar Entities and their Legality Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IamKrisBars

New

LegalZoom and Similar Entities and their Legality

Post by IamKrisBars » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:30 am

"Firms" that operate strictly online like LegalZoom have left me with some questions. How does one practice across all 50 states via a webpage or app? What is the legality to draw up LLC documents on a webpage or do estate planning?

I was under the impression you needed to be accepted to a bar in the state you intend to practice and give legal advice in. So if I am licensed in Texas for example, not under the Multi-State, how would one legally offer online legal services?

Civilservant

New

Re: LegalZoom and Similar Entities and their Legality

Post by Civilservant » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:32 am

LegalZoom is not an online law firm, so I don't get your question.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:15 pm

I'm going to assume you are asking about how LegalZoom can offer forms, since the balance of your question is unclear. LegalZoom hires contract attorneys that are barred in the states where they offer forms to write said forms. That said, LegalZoom makes the forms as watered down as possible, and most of them are pretty awful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:40 pm

SFSpartan wrote:I'm going to assume you are asking about how LegalZoom can offer forms, since the balance of your question is unclear. LegalZoom hires contract attorneys that are barred in the states where they offer forms to write said forms. That said, LegalZoom makes the forms as watered down as possible, and most of them are pretty awful.

I am having trouble getting what I am trying to ask across. I have a friend from childhood who is a very talented, well paid, independent app developer. I'm going to start school in the fall. In considering potential secondary streams of income, I thought about the world of apps. The questions would be as follows:

Is there any legal way to offer online legal services or do the online entities which exist just outsource your work with firms near you and take a finders fee?
If it is legal to offer online legal services, Im assuming you can only market in the state you are licensed with unless you hire attorneys from other states, correct?

Then just trying to solidify my understanding of one more entity and that is legalshield. Basically, I view their business model as the following; They charge a monthly subscription for consultation and basic services such as wills and estate, they do this by paying a firm to do the work. They have a volume of customers however, and the subscription fee's are more than what they pay to outsource the work to firms in your area because not everyone needs legal work all the time? Also, if anyone understands it, how do they prevent people from signing up, taking advantage of discounts through the company when they have an issue, and then leaving?

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:07 pm

You’re asking for business advice about how to develop a business. This is not the right place for that. Maybe try an actual attorney, or failing that, legalzoom.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:35 pm

Legal zoom is not a law firm and does not offer legal advice.

Civilservant

New

Post by Civilservant » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:29 pm

Maybe you and your friend can work on a killer MPRE study app...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”