What did you do at the USAO? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
UHLawStudent

New

What did you do at the USAO?

Post by UHLawStudent » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:06 pm

I just received an offer for a summer 1L position at the USAO-SDTX. I'd like to hear what kind of work or benefits people who've worked at any U.S. Attorney's Office actually received. What kind of practice experience, trips, networking events, etc. I'd also like to hear how 2L OCI employers generally perceive a USAO internship.

Thanks in advance guys!

Anonymous User

Re: What did you do at the USAO?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:04 pm

I did an internship there in a fly-over USAO. It was a great experience, and I think for 1L summer, it would particularly be a good gig, depending on your other options.

I did a lot of assisting in brief writing, memorandums, but also did more substantive stuff like got to handle prosecuting a misdemeanor under the limited practice rule. The latter will probably not be applicable to you as a 1L, but unsure. I also got to sit on talking with investigators, helped prepare evidence exhibits and discuss authenticating same, observe voir dire, pre-trial motions, and a major drug trafficking trial.

We didn't have any sort of networking events, but again, was in a fly-over USAO that is fairly rural. I also think that would be really weird a government office would have a networking event unless you are thinking of firms inviting AUSAs. Even so, they aren't going to invite an intern out to a networking event outside of work.

No trips. What sort of "trips" are you thinking of?

Can't speak to 2L OCI since got a job outside of OCI, but generally it is good having USAO on your resume if you want to do litigation. It will give you good references as well.

All in all, it was a really solid experience that I recommend. But it certainly isn't a ticket to anything prestigious necessarily in the future as there are plenty of interns. I think what helped get me more experience was that the office was small with not many interns. So, if you go to a huge USAO and there are tens or hundreds of you running around, it's going to be way different.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”