Taking weekend as an SA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Taking weekend as an SA

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:29 pm

I’m in a wedding on Memorial Day weekend as a bridesmaid. I think I can swing not missing any work and taking a late flight Friday night, but I’m worried about missing social events on that weekend. How big a deal is this as an SA and when should I tell my firm if it is just two days in a weekend (Sat and Sun)?

Anonymous User

Re: Taking weekend as an SA

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:57 pm

Along those lines: what is the protocol for needing to take a Friday off for a wedding? Is this a reasonable request and if so how early should I let HR know? Would be nice to buy flights, etc. ASAP to save money

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:14 pm

Check in with Recruiting if you're worried about it, but I doubt the firm will schedule an event for Memorial Day weekend. Your firm will likely give you Memorial Day itself off as a paid holiday.

Re: taking a Friday off for a wedding, just clear that with Recruiting as well. If you ask for it now they'll likely have no issue with it.

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:41 pm

No one will bat an eye if you take a Friday off or have to leave early Friday for a wedding. Just give plenty of advance notice.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:08 pm

Unlikely your firm will have events planned over the weekend. If they do, they would be (seriously) optional.

SAs take 3 day weekends all the time for weddings. Everyone is around the same age and weddings are common in the summer. I'd only take a day off to go to a wedding if you were in the wedding party (as you mention) or if it was an immediate family member though.

Just email recruiting. This is common and fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”