Importance of working the whole summer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Giro423

Bronze

Importance of working the whole summer?

Post by Giro423 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:31 pm

How much will 2L employers focus on someone just working for half of their 1L summer? My guess is that it should basically be treated as a requirement but I wanted to make sure. I have a wedding during the second half of the summer, and I figured most employers would frown upon someone asking for time off to travel for something like that. So, if it came down to it, I figured it would realistically be a choice between working the second half or going to the wedding.

misterjames

Bronze

Re: Importance of working the whole summer?

Post by misterjames » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:42 pm

Giro423 wrote:How much will 2L employers focus on someone just working for half of their 1L summer? My guess is that it should basically be treated as a requirement but I wanted to make sure. I have a wedding during the second half of the summer, and I figured most employers would frown upon someone asking for time off to travel for something like that. So, if it came down to it, I figured it would realistically be a choice between working the second half or going to the wedding.
This isn't true at all (unless you were planning on travelling for a significant period of time). If it's just a few days just be up front about it when you're hired.

rowingmyboat

New

Post by rowingmyboat » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:48 pm

Just tell your 1L employer a couple of weeks before you start that you have to take a day or two off for a wedding. This is pretty typical and would go over a lot better than taking a half of the summer off (I'm not even sure the 1L employer would go along with you working only half summer).

Lesion of Doom

Bronze

Post by Lesion of Doom » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:53 pm

I know several 1Ls who worked half a summer and didn't get dinged for it. Mostly, they listed their one thing as "2017 summer" and no one asked or cared how much time they spent there.

Giro423

Bronze

Post by Giro423 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:55 am

Lesion of Doom wrote:I know several 1Ls who worked half a summer and didn't get dinged for it. Mostly, they listed their one thing as "2017 summer" and no one asked or cared how much time they spent there.
Good to know

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:34 am

I worked at a firm 1L and took off a significant chunk off the end of the program (although it was 12 weeks) basically just to spend time with my family. I got an offer to come back and no one asked about it during OCI. TBH I'm not even sure how OCI interviewers would know about it unless you mentioned it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”