Asking for an advance on your clerkship bonus? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Asking for an advance on your clerkship bonus?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:25 pm

I'm at a prestigious big law firm that pays out clerkship bonuses in two portions: the first half on your first day at the firm and the second half on your one year anniversary.

I've already received the first half, but a family-related emergency financial need has come up, and getting the second half early would go a long way towards solving a very stressful problem.

Have any of you ever heard of someone requesting an advance on a staged bonus? Is that completely crazy/out-of-line to do?

New

Re: Asking for an advance on your clerkship bonus?

Post by 20181989 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:50 pm

I'm not at a "staged" firm, but I and several friends requested advances on clerkship bonuses. Firms seemed generally fine w/it. We weren't asking for >50% of the bonus advanced, tho, so YMMV.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”