T4 student with fed clerkship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T4 student with fed clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:17 am

I attend a TTTT but managed to snag a two-year district court clerkship in the state I want to practice in. I am ranked slightly outside the top 10% of my class but will graduate with honors.

Will the federal clerkship help my chances at biglaw? I attend a TTTT and am not #1, so my gut tells me my chances are slim. But I am still wondering what my post-clerkship job prospects look like.

jd20132013

Silver

Re: T4 student with fed clerkship

Post by jd20132013 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:49 pm

Yes.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:13 pm

It will still be tough, but much better chances after clerkship. Try to tap into your judges’ network, you do this by making your judge like and respect you and want to help you out. Get to know attorneys as much as possible. Two years is a long time to establish a network in a city with your judges’ support.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Thanks! Can anyone else chime in?

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:04 am

Get to know the other judge's clerks (if any). Also a network to tap into.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:07 pm

I went to a second tier, clerked for a Fed d ct and Fed COA Judge. Had huge problems landing biglaw in my desired city (the city my d ct judge is in). I actually landed zero interviews there. After sending out hundreds of apps I ended up in dc biglaw. Dc seems to like clerks so I had lots of interviews out here.

I think my problem was that my district court judge’s city is super desireable, but there’s basically no biglaw type work. The handful of biglaw offices there are small, do work largely outside of the city, and are full of HYS grads.

All you can do is try, see if your Judge can make calls for you, and hope for the best.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”