So I just found out I have no chance of passing C&F Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

So I just found out I have no chance of passing C&F

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:04 am

2L at a T20 school. Long story short, I just found out (via my PR class) that I have no chance of passing C&F when I graduate because of something I did before law school. I guess, my question is what do you think I should do now? Is it crazy that I want to finish law school anyways? I'm going to be on the exec board of law review next year, and weirdly I enjoy all the work of law school.

starrydreamz3

Silver

Re: So I just found out I have no chance of passing C&F

Post by starrydreamz3 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:28 am

How did you get into law school with such a deal breaker in your past? Didn't you have to disclose it in your application?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:2L at a T20 school. Long story short, I just found out (via my PR class) that I have no chance of passing C&F when I graduate because of something I did before law school. I guess, my question is what do you think I should do now? Is it crazy that I want to finish law school anyways? I'm going to be on the exec board of law review next year, and weirdly I enjoy all the work of law school.
Why are you in law school? If it is to make $$$ after, and you have a summer associate locked up, I'd look at your schools JD/MBA program. Also MBB/Accenture implementation will probably be interested if you have a good summer gig lined up.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:53 am

In New York, at least, an individual can seek an advance ruling as to his/her fitness to practice law from the Character and Fitness Committee. Have you looked into whether you can do so in your jurisdiction?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:06 am

starrydreamz3 wrote:How did you get into law school with such a deal breaker in your past? Didn't you have to disclose it in your application?
didn't have to disclose for law school app. It just asked if I'd been arrested/charged/convicted of a crime. This incident was never reported to the police but I was fired because of it, so it will show up on a background check.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:09 am

Finish for the JD and get compliance work. Compliance is pretty alright stuff (big banks have a lot) and can be a solid career. I’d also finish just to always have a way to be able to earn $30/hr as a contract doc reviewer (only need JD not bar). Finally, I’d apply for the bar and just hope they let you in after reviewing your file.

Civilservant

New

Post by Civilservant » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:49 am

Your PR professor is not the one issuing your law license. This is an odd time to just realize you have a C&F issue.

nrthwst4now

New

Post by nrthwst4now » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:How did you get into law school with such a deal breaker in your past? Didn't you have to disclose it in your application?
didn't have to disclose for law school app. It just asked if I'd been arrested/charged/convicted of a crime. This incident was never reported to the police but I was fired because of it, so it will show up on a background check.
I doubt you are barred (depending on your state). Many, many people with felony convictions pass C&F. Also, a lot depends on length of time since the incident. Different states have different rules as well.

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:15 pm

Civilservant wrote:Your PR professor is not the one issuing your law license. This is an odd time to just realize you have a C&F issue.
Agreed. For all the time and money you’ve invested in law school, I’d spend a little more and see a C&F lawyer.

It’s been a while since I applied, but don’t you have to state the reason you left a job?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Loquitur Res

New

Post by Loquitur Res » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This seems a bit premature and dramatic. Are you sure you have to report it on your bar app? The point of C&F questions on your law school app is to make sure they aren't admitting people to school who can't get admitted to the bar. Therefore, School's C&F questions are often similar to the Bar C&F questions in the state they are located. At least they are at my school. I would be shocked if whatever happened is a deal breaker, leaving you with "no chance of passing C&F," but was not required to be reported on you law school app. There is also a difference between getting flagged for further scrutiny and having "no chance."

Talk to a C&F attorney, or someone at your school who specializes in bar stuff (my school has on and he is a fantastic resource).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L at a T20 school. Long story short, I just found out (via my PR class) that I have no chance of passing C&F when I graduate because of something I did before law school. I guess, my question is what do you think I should do now? Is it crazy that I want to finish law school anyways? I'm going to be on the exec board of law review next year, and weirdly I enjoy all the work of law school.
I've had similar concerns, and have spoken to more than, literally, five CF attorneys about my issues. You should do the same. Without knowing what you did, I still think you have a good shot at passing a state bar., though perhaps not the one you want to pass. Individuals convicted of murder have literally been barred -- it's not about the crime, but honesty. Also, many state bars are very different in what you need to report. Apply to the bar that doesn't require you to disclose what you did, if possible. For example, some states require you to report plagiarism in high school, while others don't. Some require you to report all crime whether under 18 or not, while others only require you to report crime within the past ten years.

Action steps: read the CF portion of the bar you want to apply to to actually find out if you have to report what you did. If you have to report, talk to a CF attorney in the jurisdiction. If several attorneys don't think you have a shot, look for a different state to become barred in. If you literally have no shot at any jurisdiction, then finish law school regardless. Consider an additional advanced degree, and perhaps go into academia or something similar that doesn't require you being barred.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:44 pm

Former professional bank robber Shon Hopwood was barred. So I wouldn't write anything off just yet. Talk to a lawyer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:29 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for good C&F attorneys in New York who could help with an Advanced Ruling petition?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:23 am

cron1834 wrote:Former professional bank robber Shon Hopwood was barred. So I wouldn't write anything off just yet. Talk to a lawyer.
+1 solid advice

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Your Professional Responsibility professor usually teachers from the "ceiling" of ethics rather than the floor. Don't get too concerned with his or her proclamations. Go and see a C&F lawyer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”