CIPP/US Exam Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
slucas8

New

CIPP/US Exam

Post by slucas8 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:19 pm

I enrolled to take the CIPP/US exam and have no idea how long I need to study to pass. I am barred in California and have been doing privacy legal work for about a year now. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

RebelAmoeba

New

Re: CIPP/US Exam

Post by RebelAmoeba » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:12 pm

slucas8 wrote:I enrolled to take the CIPP/US exam and have no idea how long I need to study to pass. I am barred in California and have been doing privacy legal work for about a year now. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
It's a fairly easy test, particularly if you do privacy work. I skimmed the book and took the practice questions and was fine.

Goldie

Bronze

Post by Goldie » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:48 pm

I took this during my 1L Christmas break. I spent maybe 40hrs studying for it (using the book from IAPP) and passed no problem. I imagine that someone with experience could pass with less study time.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:27 am

Reading the text and taking the practice exam they offer was enough for me. It's not super technical like the other two exams.

fatedreality

New

Post by fatedreality » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:49 pm

I spent about 3 weeks prepping while working (studied mostly in the evenings). For prep, I read through the latest CIPP/US book from IAPP (https://iapp.org/store/books/a191a000001KOYXAA4/) as well as read through this CIPP/US Study Guide (https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Inform ... 150776877X) to get into the right mindset for the questions.

Depending on how you like to study, it might be helpful to make an outline or flash cards for the various federal privacy laws to keep the requirements straight in your head (easy to get them jumbled).

I took the prep course for the CIPT exam and did not find it to be super helpful, which is why this time I decided to go solo and read through the study materials on my own.

I'm selling my two books if you're in need of study materials. Feel free to PM me or e-mail me at fatedreality(at)gmail(dot)com

Best of luck!

fatedreality

New

Post by fatedreality » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:33 am

fatedreality wrote:I spent about 3 weeks prepping while working (studied mostly in the evenings). For prep, I read through the latest CIPP/US book from IAPP (https://iapp.org/store/books/a191a000001KOYXAA4/) as well as read through this CIPP/US Study Guide (https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Inform ... 150776877X) to get into the right mindset for the questions.

Depending on how you like to study, it might be helpful to make an outline or flash cards for the various federal privacy laws to keep the requirements straight in your head (easy to get them jumbled).

I took the prep course for the CIPT exam and did not find it to be super helpful, which is why this time I decided to go solo and read through the study materials on my own.

I'm selling my two books if you're in need of study materials. Feel free to PM me or e-mail me at fatedreality(at)gmail(dot)com

Best of luck!
Can't seem to edit my post but I've sold all my materials. Best of luck on the exam to anyone preparing for it!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”