Accept SEC offer vs. Wait for law firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accept SEC offer vs. Wait for law firms?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:07 pm

Hey. Got an offer from SEC yesterday, which is great news, but they have only given me until Monday to accept.
This puts me at a bit of dilemma because I have two interviews lined up with law firms, and am still waiting to hear back from few other law firms atm (though I think chances are slim for those).

Assuming that no firm miraculously gives me an offer by next Monday, what should I do?
I know it's foolish to give up on a SEC offer but still I don't want to miss out on the prospect of an 1L law firm summer.

bokampers

New

Re: Accept SEC offer vs. Wait for law firms?

Post by bokampers » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:37 am

Take SEC; continue on interview tour; take firm job if you get & prefer it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey. Got an offer from SEC yesterday, which is great news, but they have only given me until Monday to accept.
This puts me at a bit of dilemma because I have two interviews lined up with law firms, and am still waiting to hear back from few other law firms atm (though I think chances are slim for those).

Assuming that no firm miraculously gives me an offer by next Monday, what should I do?
I know it's foolish to give up on a SEC offer but still I don't want to miss out on the prospect of an 1L law firm summer.
If you wouldn't mind, could you share a few details? Is this for Chair Honors and if so did you intern with them?

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey. Got an offer from SEC yesterday, which is great news, but they have only given me until Monday to accept.

If you wouldn't mind, could you share a few details? Is this for Chair Honors and if so did you intern with them?
Reread the original post. OP is a 1L. SEC did not run the Chair Honors program this year due to the hiring freeze.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:30 am

bokampers wrote:Take SEC; continue on interview tour; take firm job if you get & prefer it
Thank you for your reply. Does this mean that it's OK to back out of a job even if you've committed to it? I feel like there will be repercussions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
bokampers wrote:Take SEC; continue on interview tour; take firm job if you get & prefer it
Thank you for your reply. Does this mean that it's OK to back out of a job even if you've committed to it? I feel like there will be repercussions?
Check with your career services. My school would ban you from participating in OCI for that kind of behavior though.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Ask to split the summer. The SEC will accommodate you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:46 pm

how long ago did you interview with them?

dogger

New

Post by dogger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:25 am

I’d go with the SEC. It is an awesome 1L job and no better or worse than a 1L firm job to me except for lack of salary.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Post by CPA-->JD » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:10 am

dogger wrote:I’d go with the SEC. It is an awesome 1L job and no better or worse than a 1L firm job to me except for lack of salary.
What makes it awesome?

dogger

New

Post by dogger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:26 pm

CPA-->JD wrote:
dogger wrote:I’d go with the SEC. It is an awesome 1L job and no better or worse than a 1L firm job to me except for lack of salary.
What makes it awesome?
To me it's a reputable federal agency known for having a good internship program. A bunch of people at my law school go there each year, and I've only heard good things. I am not saying it's better than a law firm, but in my (risk averse) opinion, a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

dogger

New

Post by dogger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:27 pm

I also agree you can always accept and then keep interviewing. When you set dates (should you get both), you can try to split the summer.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:57 pm

I reneged on DOJ after getting a 1L firm job. It is really an easy decision. Unpaid internship or firm job?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:26 pm

sparty99 wrote:

I reneged on DOJ after getting a 1L firm job. It is really an easy decision. Unpaid internship or firm job?
Did your school not care? Mine has a strict policy about reneging on employers

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:

Did your school not care? Mine has a strict policy about reneging on employers
I did not apply specifically through my school. But if you get a 1L firm job there is a strong possibility that they will invite you back so there's that...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”