If anyone has experience leaving biglaw, please share Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

If anyone has experience leaving biglaw, please share

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:45 am

If anyone has experience leaving, please share. Are you happy now? Did you ever look back? I've been here for 3 years, working at one of the "sweatshop" firms. I'm tired. I barely see my spouse anymore. I've missed so many family events, I've become "that relative" that younger kids have heard about but never met. I don't remember the last time I took a vacation for more than a day, and even then I had work and emails to answer. Late last month, I tried to go to a doctor's appointment for a health issue I'm pretty sure came from biglaw, but couldn't go due to nonstop demands from a partner. The partners just get worse: every time I give them what they ask for, they want more. The asks get bigger, the time commitments get bigger, and everybody needs everything "now". I don't know if this is normal; I've heard people at other firms are happy. My practice area prevents me from lateraling, so I'm wondering, has everyone ever regretting leaving this behind?

slucas8

New

Re: If anyone has experience leaving biglaw, please share

Post by slucas8 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:23 pm

Can you give more details on what you mean by your practice area prevents you from lateraling?

lagamemnon

New

Post by lagamemnon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If anyone has experience leaving, please share. Are you happy now? Did you ever look back? I've been here for 3 years, working at one of the "sweatshop" firms. I'm tired. I barely see my spouse anymore. I've missed so many family events, I've become "that relative" that younger kids have heard about but never met. I don't remember the last time I took a vacation for more than a day, and even then I had work and emails to answer. Late last month, I tried to go to a doctor's appointment for a health issue I'm pretty sure came from biglaw, but couldn't go due to nonstop demands from a partner. The partners just get worse: every time I give them what they ask for, they want more. The asks get bigger, the time commitments get bigger, and everybody needs everything "now". I don't know if this is normal; I've heard people at other firms are happy. My practice area prevents me from lateraling, so I'm wondering, has everyone ever regretting leaving this behind?
How could you regret it? Your life sounds miserable. if you leave, you're trading certain misery for a chance not to be miserable. What do you have to lose?

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:18 pm

start applying to jobs you think you could enjoy. I went in-house. haven't looked back or regretted it at all. sometimes my current job pisses me off (it did today, for example) but I no longer have the "what's life like out there" feeling I had during biglaw.

the problem with your present approach -- and sorry because it's harsh -- you're playing up how much of a victim you are and not focusing on your opportunities to get out (the light at the end of the tunnel). if you spend 30 mins looking at indeed for jobs, firing our resumes and well thought-out cover letters, that shit will inspire you a little bit even if you don't get the job because you're doing something other than wallowing. so do that.

nleefer

New

Post by nleefer » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:29 pm

I was not nearly as unhappy in biglaw as you sound, but I am still happier now that I've left for government. The increase in quality of life was substantial.

waytoplant

New

Post by waytoplant » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:03 pm

I'd like to hear any first hand accounts of going in house too. My situation isn't nearly as bad as OP's but I'm still looking to move soon. How did you find the job? How has the transition been? What are the pros and cons of the move? What was different than your expectations?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”