NY associate start dates Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NY associate start dates

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:46 am

What is the average start date range for NY associates in the fall? My smaller firm says I can just start whenever, curious about when other firms have their associates start. I know one v20 gives you an option for late sept or late oct, but late October seems really late to me... what do you think? Thanks.

filibuster

Bronze

Re: NY associate start dates

Post by filibuster » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:17 am

Some time between mid September and late October

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:20 pm

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to starting early/late? And is there a reason a firm would have later/earlier start date options?

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any advantage/disadvantage to starting early/late? And is there a reason a firm would have later/earlier start date options?
To the first question: money. You usually get an advance to survive for the summer, but 10-15k only lasts so long. I know people who drove for uber/lyft just to make it through the wait.

gilbert33

New

Post by gilbert33 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:36 pm

I'm stressed that we still have received NO info regarding start dates! How late has this info come in the past? Will I be waiting into the summer? I know I know talk to HR... I just don't want to be pushy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bwh8813

Bronze

Post by bwh8813 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:33 pm

gilbert33 wrote:I'm stressed that we still have received NO info regarding start dates! How late has this info come in the past? Will I be waiting into the summer? I know I know talk to HR... I just don't want to be pushy.
Obviously it's firm specific, but I received my official start date in mid-April a couple years ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:03 pm

bwh8813 wrote:
gilbert33 wrote:I'm stressed that we still have received NO info regarding start dates! How late has this info come in the past? Will I be waiting into the summer? I know I know talk to HR... I just don't want to be pushy.
Obviously it's firm specific, but I received my official start date in mid-April a couple years ago.
A couple years ago, I didn't hear until early June.

But also don't feel shy about asking HR. This is an easy question and it's their job.

(You're going to have to ask much harder questions in much more difficult scenarios -- e.g., asking for follow-up from a partner or senior associate when you don't understand an assignment. Don't sweat the easy stuff.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:44 pm

Heard today that incoming Proskauer associates will be starting Nov 5, but that it is still subject (but not likely) to change.

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any advantage/disadvantage to starting early/late? And is there a reason a firm would have later/earlier start date options?
As for why a firm would have a later start date: often will depend on when bar results come out. For example, in Boston, bar results come out in early October for the summer bar, so a lot of the start dates are mid or late October.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”