Starting at big firm after small firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Starting at big firm after small firm

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:23 am

I’ve worked for about a year and a half at a 25 attorney firm. I just accepted an offer at a large law firm doing the same work. Almost all the attorneys in this practice group are in other offices though. This office will be just me and a partner as far as my practice group goes. I’m a little nervous about not having another associate who I can just walk into their office and ask for help. Anyone have any advice for making this transition. Thanks in advance.

SFSpartan

Silver

Re: Starting at big firm after small firm

Postby SFSpartan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:45 pm

I have experience going the opposite way. My initial employer was a midlaw firm with offices around the country and in Europe. I primarily worked with 3 partners, one of whom ran the European office, and the other of whom worked in an office that was different than mine. I also occasionally did work with partners in other cities.

Because people from different offices often had to work together, the firm had a bunch of tools to facilitate said work. For example, our VoIP phones came with a computer program that allowed you to see if another attorney was on the phone. There were also IM systems, and our conference rooms had pretty state of the art videoconferencing equipment to facilitate collaboration among attorneys in different offices. I'd ask what tools your firm has to help you serve partners in other offices well (be sure to word the question so that it's about your service to the firm, not what the firm is doing for you). To tell you the truth, when I moved to my current firm, which is a single office, 30 attorney corporate/IP boutique, I was surprised they didn't have the technical tools that my old firm had.

Return to “Legal Employment?