Anyone successfully quit their law firm job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 312850
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Anyone successfully quit their law firm job?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:33 pm

I'm getting so burned out. I fantasize about quitting every day. My girlfriend came into my room this morning to wake me up because I wasn't getting up for work, just on my phone delaying the inevitable.

The thing is, the work and hours aren't even all that terrible. I usually leave by 6:30-7. The thing I hate the most is probably the billing system here. I'm always chasing some number I'm never going to meet, even if I come into work on a weekend to do some free work to stay not too over budget.

I barely take vacations. When I do, it's to visit family for holidays for a few days. And of course, I'm behind on hours even more when I do go.

I have a side business that brings in decent income (mid-5 figures). Maybe I can do some freelance work to supplement it. I just don't know if this is a viable choice for me for the next 40+ years. I keep telling myself to be patient, but if I do that, I'm going to be patient forever while my soul rots.

The other thing that's holding me back is the employment gap in my resume should I decide to reenter the legal world.

If anyone has had a similar experience, I'd like to know what finally convinced you to make the jump and what you do now. Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 312850
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone successfully quit their law firm job?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:16 pm

Hi,

Sounds like we are in the same boat. But if I quit what else is there to do? I keep telling myself that it pays the bills...

Anonymous User
Posts: 312850
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone successfully quit their law firm job?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi,

Sounds like we are in the same boat. But if I quit what else is there to do? I keep telling myself that it pays the bills...

Welcome.

There are alternative careers, freelancing, starting a business, living off a spouse, etc.

One thing that holds me back is that it seems like an irreversible course of action, or at the least, difficult to get back in. Switching between being an active and inactive attorney... employment gap... girls on Tinder thinking I'm an unemployed loser...

Anonymous User
Posts: 312850
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone successfully quit their law firm job?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi,

Sounds like we are in the same boat. But if I quit what else is there to do? I keep telling myself that it pays the bills...

Welcome.

There are alternative careers, freelancing, starting a business, living off a spouse, etc.

One thing that holds me back is that it seems like an irreversible course of action, or at the least, difficult to get back in. Switching between being an active and inactive attorney... employment gap... girls on Tinder thinking I'm an unemployed loser...


Lol. Not sure if those are realistic options for me. I have a significant other who makes good money. But idk... maybe I don’t have the guts to quit. Sad I know...

Anonymous User
Posts: 312850
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Anyone successfully quit their law firm job?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi,

Sounds like we are in the same boat. But if I quit what else is there to do? I keep telling myself that it pays the bills...

Welcome.

There are alternative careers, freelancing, starting a business, living off a spouse, etc.

One thing that holds me back is that it seems like an irreversible course of action, or at the least, difficult to get back in. Switching between being an active and inactive attorney... employment gap... girls on Tinder thinking I'm an unemployed loser...


Lol. Not sure if those are realistic options for me. I have a significant other who makes good money. But idk... maybe I don’t have the guts to quit. Sad I know...

One day, the lack of fulfillment and enjoyment in this job is going to be too much, and I'll find the guts to do something about it.

I'm not going to allow bills to dictate my choice of livelihood for the next 30 years.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.