Transferring my BigLaw Offer as a 3L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transferring my BigLaw Offer as a 3L

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:43 pm

I'm a 3L who accepted a full time offer with a non-NYC based BigLaw firm at the HQ. My significant other (not spouse) may be moving to NYC soon for school (where my firm has an office, ~100ish attorneys) and I've been thinking about making the move there with her. I was wondering if you guys know if this is even a possibility and if so, how I would go about transferring offices before I start working full-time? should I suck it up and work at the HQ for a year or two before making the move?

bobbyflayed

Bronze

Re: Transferring my BigLaw Offer as a 3L

Postby bobbyflayed » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:26 am

I'd run it by recruiting for a move now. I think the reason you have is perfectly acceptable, but I'd probably say something along the lines of "my SO has a job in [current city] and may receive an offer in [new city] that we are currently thinking about together" so as to alleviate any risk of them thinking you're trying to jump ship. Approach it as more of a hypothetical.

Alternatively, over the next 2-3 years you could travel between the two offices and build enough connections that would make a move significantly easier.

Anonymous User

Re: Transferring my BigLaw Offer as a 3L

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:29 pm

I think first you need to know whether or not you will be moving to NYC. If you think it is a very high likelihood, then I would reach out to recruiting as the above poster mentioned and ask whether it is feasible.

My experience was in reverse - I summered after 2L year at a biglaw satellite and then asked to transfer to HQ office - the firm was cool w/ the transfer. I am also from the HQ office location so the associates I worked with were supportive throughout the summer of a potential move, I formally asked to transfer near the end of my SA summer.

I do think transferring offices is possible but as with most things, will depend on your group, the firm's needs, and available slots. I would think long and hard over the next few days whether you want to make the move and then, if you do, reach out to recruiting.

Return to “Legal Employment�