Deciding between two PD offers...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Deciding between two PD offers...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:00 pm

Hello, all!

I am a 2L and currently have offers from a local PD's office and the Federal PD habeas unit for this summer. Which one would offer better opportunities for post-grad employment as a PD?

The local PD's office allows certified interns to appear on the record and sit second chair in trial.

Any advice is appreciated.

Fireworks2016

New

Re: Deciding between two PD offers...

Postby Fireworks2016 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello, all!

I am a 2L and currently have offers from a local PD's office and the Federal PD habeas unit for this summer. Which one would offer better opportunities for post-grad employment as a PD?

The local PD's office allows certified interns to appear on the record and sit second chair in trial.

Any advice is appreciated.

Easily the local PD's office imo. 1% chance at seeing a courtroom in as a federal habeas intern

Anonymous User

Re: Deciding between two PD offers...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:23 am

I worked at both types of offices in law school, and I can say hands down the local PD's offices were way more substantive and rewarding. Not that FPD capital habeas unit internships are bad - they aren't, they provide a unique look into a very specific appellate practice area, and usually allow you to get some deep research and writing experience. Habeas internships usually involve a lot of document review and reading transcripts. I spent my entire capital habeas internship reading through thousands of pages of jury selection and summarizing everything. I never met the clients (there were only two in the district), and I never set foot in court. I spent my local PD internships in court, writing and arguing motions, interviewing clients in jail, etc.

In terms of future employment, FPD looks good on a resume, but FPDs don't hire new attorneys (with some very rare exceptions), and FPDs are obviously more hooked into the federal criminal bar than the larger state criminal bar, so the networking is less extensive. They also are sometimes not locals, or they're new to the area they're practicing in. If you want to be a PD in the future, getting time on your feet in court as an intern is critical. So I'd go with the local office, and maybe see if you can work for the FPD during the fall or something.

Return to “Legal Employment�