Current healthcare executive; post-LS options?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NonTradinStLou

New

Current healthcare executive; post-LS options?

Postby NonTradinStLou » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:39 am

I am returning to law school this fall to complete my JD part-time. I actually went to law school over 13/14 years ago, but dropped out.

Since then, I've built a pretty successful career, make 150K (not including bonuses), and work in the upper leadership (c-suite) of my organization. Specifically, I work in the health quality field and do a lot of compliance work.

If I don't get a legal job, I'd obviously just continue doing what I've been doing. However, I'm curious as to what legal employment options would be available to someone with my background (assuming I don't get amazing grades in law school)? Would I have to start all over again as an entry-level associate? (That does not sound at all desirable; I think I'd rather just continue doing what I'm doing to avoid taking a salary hit). Would my current work be valuable at all if I want to practice health law?

resilience99

Bronze

Re: Current healthcare executive; post-LS options?

Postby resilience99 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:05 pm

You would need to start as an entry level associate, however you would actually make more money as an entry level associate if you end up at a market paying firm (180k plus bonus starting and can make 200K a couple years in). These are a lot of ifs though.

yyyuppp

Bronze

Postby yyyuppp » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Complete the degree if you want, but it sounds like you have a great gig. The only job you will get that will pay more than you have is biglaw, and you will start at the bottom there and work brutal hours. I don’t think you should go unless you hate your current job, which you don’t seem to. If you just want a jd, then go part time and do that I guess.

NonTradinStLou

New

Postby NonTradinStLou » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Thanks for the responses!

Biglaw in my market only starts at 125 or so.

Hmm. I don't think I'll be practicing as an attorney, then.

Return to “Legal Employment?