Made a wrong turn and I need help getting back Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Made a wrong turn and I need help getting back

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:01 pm

First off, I know someone will eventually say I made a wrong turn at deciding to go to law school, so screw you I thoroughly enjoy it all :lol:

Second, and more important, my life has been in pretty bad shambles over the past year and a half and I desperately need advice. (I will also be omitting some of the details that would identify me). Beginning of my 3L year, a year and a half ago, I went through a very severe bad event. As a result, I had some major panic attacks and getting through that semester was terrible. Unfortunately, that was just the start of everything, at the beginning of that second semester, several things happened: my fiance had a cancer scare (which I was the cause of), three of my friends died (all unrelated, and two of which on the same day), and finally a family friend was abducted by a sex offender over an incredibly long weekend. I went from top 15 students in my class to ~50% by the time I graduated. My summer associate position (a mid-size litigation firm) decided to not hire anyone due to budget issues. Around the end of the semester, my panic attacks evolved into severe depression, which I battled until shortly before the end of the year. After all of that I decided to postpone taking the bar for a year, and I'm beginning to study for this July. Since law school, I worked as a financial adviser...being full commission sucks and put me in a worse position than if I took any other job in the world. I just want to get back in law, as a result I will be starting as a temp law clerk/paralegal type of position at a solo shop in order to get some money and get my feet wet again.

Now that I'm done with my sob story, here's what I need help with...Real estate isn't my interest. I love litigation, in particular employment, insurance defense, and complex litigation. I also loved the mid-size firm environment, and would do anything to get back into it. Unfortunately, I understand given the decline of my grades and gap in legal experience might make that rather difficult. How do I get back to doing what I want to?

It also might be worth noting a few misc. things. 1) I went to a low tier 1 school (think 40-50 range), 2) I have excellent references that would be glad to go to bat for me (one of which told an employer that I am a "biglaw caliber lawyer" looking for a small firm), 3) might be irrelevant - M&A stuff also interests me, but I've never had any actual experience, and 4) despite my academic decline in my 3L year, I know I'm damn good at this and can prove it in an interview...I just need to get there

HillandHollow

Bronze

Re: Made a wrong turn and I need help getting back

Post by HillandHollow » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:17 pm

Have you considered trying for a clerkship? Federal may be a stretch, but perhaps something on the State level?

InGoodFaith

New

Post by InGoodFaith » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:33 pm

Have you considered therapy? Serious question.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:35 pm

HillandHollow wrote:Have you considered trying for a clerkship? Federal may be a stretch, but perhaps something on the State level?
OP here, I was looking into federal district opportunities since I interned under a federal judge. I'm on the fence about state trial clerkships because my state is pretty god awful and just laid off a lot of TACs.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:52 pm

By all means, if you can get a federal clerkship, do that. But I wouldn't decline the opportunity to do a state clerkship. It is a good way to pivot towards litigation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:53 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Have you considered therapy? Serious question.
Already done. I've been mostly fixed since December :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:11 pm

I second the state clerkship recommendation. I started in estate planning but tired of it quickly so I started a clerkship to gain relevant skills. My clerkship is about to conclude and I've already secured a midlaw job doing litigation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I second the state clerkship recommendation. I started in estate planning but tired of it quickly so I started a clerkship to gain relevant skills. My clerkship is about to conclude and I've already secured a midlaw job doing litigation.
I'm looking into state clerkship opportunities as I type this. This might be a stupid question (and I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this), but does it matter which type of clerkship I take? i.e. there's a few for housing, family, and criminal; but, there's only one general clerkship.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”