3L OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:49 pm

I know this is a ways away, and almost impossible... BUT, what would the ideal candidate have as a 2L Summer job?

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Re: 3L OCI

Post by BeeTeeZ » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know this is a ways away, and almost impossible... BUT, what would the ideal candidate have as a 2L Summer job?
The ideal candidate would have a 2L SA with an offer for full-time employment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:18 pm

How hard is it to move markets/firms and trade-up?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:26 pm

Assuming you're going to try and get Biglaw for 3L job search (or some prestigious midlaw firm or something), I believe the general advice is something like...
Law Firm-->In House/corporation-->good government summer --> judicial/PI --> any other legal job

Incredibly tough for get biglaw 3L without already having a biglaw summer (and then lateraling) but getting grades high and securing a law firm/in house/or perhaps very prestigious government position/judge for the summer, could still keep you in the hunt. Also it would help, or be almost a necessity at this point, to be somewhere in the T-14 I think.

Good luck

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Assuming you're going to try and get Biglaw for 3L job search (or some prestigious midlaw firm or something), I believe the general advice is something like...
Law Firm-->In House/corporation-->good government summer --> judicial/PI --> any other legal job

Incredibly tough for get biglaw 3L without already having a biglaw summer (and then lateraling) but getting grades high and securing a law firm/in house/or perhaps very prestigious government position/judge for the summer, could still keep you in the hunt. Also it would help, or be almost a necessity at this point, to be somewhere in the T-14 I think.

Good luck
Thanks for this! When you say good gov't summer what does that exactly include?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How hard is it to move markets/firms and trade-up?
^^^ Wondering the same thing.

Also had a small grade drop to due OCI, had to hustle to get a SA. I'm wondering how much that will hurt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:13 am

BUMP

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:BUMP
I had PI my first two summers, did 3L OCI and ended up with a BigLaw offer. I have good grades, but am at a T1 school. I ended up turning down the offer, but it is possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:36 pm

bretby wrote:
I had PI my first two summers, did 3L OCI and ended up with a BigLaw offer. I have good grades, but am at a T1 school. I ended up turning down the offer, but it is possible.
Thats awesome man, sorry would you mind sharing your GPA if you dont mind (at the time you got the offer) and roughly what your schools median is said to be.

Also about your PI position, did you get an "offer" from the PI position for a full time job after. I know that firms like that when you have an offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bretby wrote:
Thats awesome man, sorry would you mind sharing your GPA if you dont mind (at the time you got the offer) and roughly what your schools median is said to be.

Also about your PI position, did you get an "offer" from the PI position for a full time job after. I know that firms like that when you have an offer.

Would also be super interested in hearing about this experience a bit more, some more context. Maybe offer up some hope (how did you approach 3L OCI, etc.) Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
bretby wrote:

My grades are ~top 10%, so good, but not like I'm #1 in the class. I'm not sure what you mean by my school's median - but hopefully the percentage gets to the same info. I did not have a PI offer - the organization I worked for 2L summer doesn't hire until May of 3L, and I am not applying there anyways. I got a little panicked about not having a job and did 3L OCI - I concocted fairly credible story about why the switch to Big Law, but really I don't think that's that hard because people always like to think their path (whatever it is) is so obviously preferable that it you can say a few key phrases with a straight face, they'll probably believe you. I ended up turning down the offer because truly Big Law is not for me, but it did feel good to know I could have gone that route if I'd wanted to, for what it's worth.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”