New Jersey Character & Fitness

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

New Jersey Character & Fitness

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:12 pm

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of what the C&F process is like in New Jersey? How strict are they, comparatively speaking?

L_William_W

Bronze

Re: New Jersey Character & Fitness

Postby L_William_W » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:14 pm

They're MUCH less stringent than NY. You basically submit fingerprints and they do a background check.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:48 pm

L_William_W wrote:They're MUCH less stringent than NY. You basically submit fingerprints and they do a background check.

Thanks. Are they regressive about mental health issues? Have you gone through NJLAP?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
L_William_W wrote:They're MUCH less stringent than NY. You basically submit fingerprints and they do a background check.

Thanks. Are they regressive about mental health issues? Have you gone through NJLAP?

I got through no problem with a serious but well managed axis I condition. I can't remember if the application didn't require disclosure (I know NY did), or if I just disclosed and never heard any more about it. I got through NY fine too. I suspect that most states don't look twice at mental illness unless the person seems like they are actively and very seriously sick - which is nearly impossible since the person has to graduate law school and pass the bar to be in this position.

shantideva

New

Postby shantideva » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I got through no problem with a serious but well managed axis I condition. I can't remember if the application didn't require disclosure (I know NY did), or if I just disclosed and never heard any more about it. I got through NY fine too. I suspect that most states don't look twice at mental illness unless the person seems like they are actively and very seriously sick - which is nearly impossible since the person has to graduate law school and pass the bar to be in this position.

The NJ app does require disclosure, and I did disclose, providing contact info for my treatment providers.

Civilservant

New

Postby Civilservant » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:50 pm

I'm sure if you made it through 3 consecutive years of law school without any trouble, you should be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Civilservant wrote:I'm sure if you made it through 3 consecutive years of law school without any trouble, you should be fine.

Unfortunately I was disciplined in law school (for behavioral reasons, not cheating/plagiarism).

Return to “Legal Employment�