Blind Submissions by Recruiter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Blind Submissions by Recruiter

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:30 am

Hey all, I'm working with a recruiter who wants to test the waters at certain firms that do not currently have openings posted, by reaching out with a semi nondescript explanation of me to see if they might be interested in seeing my resume. A few have responded asking for my resume and I'm just curious how long it might take them to decide to interview or not interview me. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation and able to offer advice?

HarrisonBarnes

New

Re: Blind Submissions by Recruiter

Postby HarrisonBarnes » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:40 am

Recruiters will typically do this in a couple of situations. First, if they do not have the resources to monitor all of the jobs in the market they tend to make doing this the rule rather than the exception. In a market like Los Angeles, there are hundreds of law firms that use recruiters. Second, recruiters will do this when they do not have relationships with the firm and they want to upset firms they do not work with and/or have the firms steal their candidates. In the first two instances, recruiters are doing this because of their own limitations. If you are using a small recruiter/recruiting firm without a lot of resources, this is the sort of thing you will see. The third example is when the candidate is exceptional and may be in a "niche" practice area and/or the sort of attorney where there are not a lot of openings generally. For example, if someone wants to do appellate-related work and is at a top law firm and went to a top law school and did very well there this could be a good idea. There are very few appellate openings in the market on an ongoing basis and often the only way to find firms that will consider someone is to do this--but the candidate must be exceptional. An important point, though, is that you are generally always better off applying to the firm than having the recruiter do blind submissions. The blind submission will go to a recruiting coordinator who may/may not respond. Blind submissions do not need to be entered into the law firm's candidate database, circulated to partners and so forth. If you are a really good candidate you want the law firm to look at you. You are far more likely to get hired with your resume in front of the firm than a blind submission.

Return to “Legal Employment�