AUSA - Referral, what next?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

AUSA - Referral, what next?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:01 pm

I've been applying to AUSA positions because I'm leaving the military. My applications have all been recently referred, but I don't know what to expect next, if anything. Does anyone have insight?

Anonymous User

Re: AUSA - Referral, what next?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've been applying to AUSA positions because I'm leaving the military. My applications have all been recently referred, but I don't know what to expect next, if anything. Does anyone have insight?

Based on other threads where this was covered, being referred essentially means that either the DOJ or local HR vetting software didn't automatically weed you out because you have the baseline qualifications for the position. Your name is on a list recommended to that local USAO and their HR department will look through either those recommended after the initial vetting or sometimes ask for the entire original pool of applicants to sort through. How quickly they make selections for interviews varies widely office to office. Apparently, the referral notification is not as big of a deal as the notification language makes it out to be.

Anonymous User

Re: AUSA - Referral, what next?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:22 am

Its not, at all. And some don't even use it. I've applied for about 40 offices for post-clerkship hiring and been referred for about 35 of them. From there, I've received three interviews (one of which was from an office that never updated it).

Return to “Legal Employment�