URM BigLawyer pondering Clerkship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

URM BigLawyer pondering Clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi all,

Currently a junior associate in NYC biglaw. Had solidly median grades at a lower T14. As the title implies, AA M fwiw. Have somewhat diverse geographic ties to a variety of flyover districts/areas. Wondering if I'd have a chance at a district clerkship in less competitive districts or magistrate clerkships in more competitive areas? Obv clerkship hiring is more idiosyncratic but wondering general thoughts.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: URM BigLawyer pondering Clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

Currently a junior associate in NYC biglaw. Had solidly median grades at a lower T14. As the title implies, AA M fwiw. Have somewhat diverse geographic ties to a variety of flyover districts/areas. Wondering if I'd have a chance at a district clerkship in less competitive districts or magistrate clerkships in more competitive areas? Obv clerkship hiring is more idiosyncratic but wondering general thoughts.

Thanks.

I think there is a program that specifically seeks applicants like you who are urms and places them in clerkships as long as your are not tied to being somewhere. I have a friend who got one through this program with very similar stats. Might want to gooogle around and see if that’s a fit for you. Otherwise, I still think you have a good shot.

NoChainz

Bronze

Postby NoChainz » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:45 pm

Probably better off posting on the clerkship forum. Also what are your career goals post-clerkship?

kyle1978

New

Postby kyle1978 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:25 pm

I am not sure to what extent being a black male will help you in hiring, but I think that, with a year+ of BigLaw experience on your resume, above median grades, and a desire to clerk in flyover country, you will likely receive an offer from a judge. It could take some time though and probably more than 1 or 2 interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:43 pm

There was at least one judge I applied to who preferred clerks with membership in a well-known AA legal group. If you look at each judge's description, you should be able to find him/her.

Return to “Legal Employment?