Andrews Kurth imploding?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Andrews Kurth imploding?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:25 am

It sure looks like they are. They've been bleeding not just partners but entire teams in Houston/Dallas throughout the last few months. Anyone with inside scoop? I read an article today that said they might bleed out before the proposed merger with Hunton & Williams. I'm guessing to 100% keep away during OCI?

Anonymous User

Re: Andrews Kurth imploding?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:It sure looks like they are. They've been bleeding not just partners but entire teams in Houston/Dallas throughout the last few months. Anyone with inside scoop? I read an article today that said they might bleed out before the proposed merger with Hunton & Williams. I'm guessing to 100% keep away during OCI?

I think probably. My friend showed me an email tonight -- she had worked with a partner at AK about 8 months ago on a transaction and that partner just announced tonight that he/she was leaving the firm with "several" others. Haven't seen this one in the news yet.

This is a total stay-away for students/laterals, and if you're there, my apologies and you should try to line something up ASAP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:33 pm

I'm at another Houston-based firm. I haven't heard anything concrete but the rumormill has gone into overdrive about AK, and people are wondering if this is because of the big malpractice settlement from a couple of years ago. There was an article on Thursday stating that they expected to lose at least 60 attorneys over the next month, although a lot of the losses (other than their public finance group) were at non-Houston offices. It doesn't look good. Maybe the merger will still go through as long as they don't lose anymore rainmakers in Houston since that seems to be the main thing that Hunton cares about, but who knows. I feel bad for the associates and staff.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at another Houston-based firm. I haven't heard anything concrete but the rumormill has gone into overdrive about AK, and people are wondering if this is because of the big malpractice settlement from a couple of years ago. There was an article on Thursday stating that they expected to lose at least 60 attorneys over the next month, although a lot of the losses (other than their public finance group) were at non-Houston offices. It doesn't look good. Maybe the merger will still go through as long as they don't lose anymore rainmakers in Houston since that seems to be the main thing that Hunton cares about, but who knows. I feel bad for the associates and staff.

Any potential of rescinding 1L SA offers? Obviously other firm options would be preferable, but if it isn’t an option how bad of an idea would Houston AK 1L summer be with the idea of going elsewhere 2L?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm at another Houston-based firm. I haven't heard anything concrete but the rumormill has gone into overdrive about AK, and people are wondering if this is because of the big malpractice settlement from a couple of years ago. There was an article on Thursday stating that they expected to lose at least 60 attorneys over the next month, although a lot of the losses (other than their public finance group) were at non-Houston offices. It doesn't look good. Maybe the merger will still go through as long as they don't lose anymore rainmakers in Houston since that seems to be the main thing that Hunton cares about, but who knows. I feel bad for the associates and staff.

Any potential of rescinding 1L SA offers? Obviously other firm options would be preferable, but if it isn’t an option how bad of an idea would Houston AK 1L summer be with the idea of going elsewhere 2L?

What are your other options? You should be doing OCI anyway. Best case you split between your 1L and 2L firms. Worst case you'll have $30,000 and be in the same position as everyone else, with a slightly better resume line than everyone who worked for free. The only caveat might be if you get no-offered for financial reasons, in which case you might want to ask for a cold offer. And if AK actually "implodes", OCI interviewers would probably realize and aren't gonna blame the summer. IMHO anyway

Return to “Legal Employment?