Frustrated with NY swearing in requirements

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
L_William_W

Bronze

Frustrated with NY swearing in requirements

Postby L_William_W » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:08 pm

After three attempts, I finally got over the hump and passed the NY bar exam. However, I'm having a hard time submitting the paperwork to get sworn in. I've contacted several former professors and employers for employment affidavits and law school classmates for moral affidavits. They have busy lives and they're dragging their feet. They're doing me a favor by filling out the paperwork, but I don't think it's fair that my life is in the hands of someone else.

ilovesf

Diamond

Re: Frustrated with NY swearing in requirements

Postby ilovesf » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:14 pm

I will write one for you! Just post your info here

RedGiant

Bronze

Re: Frustrated with NY swearing in requirements

Postby RedGiant » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:54 pm

There is no requirement that the moral affidavits be from law school friends. Have an actual friend do it. As you will see, once you've graduated, law school friends are not real friends. Second, you can have a law school friend who is a lawyer now (already sworn) do the attorney one. You only need a law prof if you worked for a law prof.

Third, provide a sample letter template for them and ask them to tweak it a bit. Get the ball rolling. Make this easy for them, just like you'd ghostwrite an email for a partner at work.

Fourth, if you find this a big enough hurdle to whine on TLS about, I seriously question how you've deal with adversity in the past. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Ask more people than you need, the first ones to get back to you are what goes in as part of your application. You're the one compiling it after all....

Congrats on passing. You're almost done.

Return to “Legal Employment�